WBO 2017 Convention Highlights From The Floor – The World Boxing Organization’s 2017 annual convention is in full swing and our cameras are there to capture highlights.
This year’s convention got started with a golf outing and the venue then shifted to a cruise ship, but the gathering is more than just fun and games. The WBO’s varied commissions are in meetings and several decisions have been issued, a partial list of which appears below.
News from the convention:
- WBO lightweight champion Terry Flanagan has vacated his belt to move up to 140 lbs.
- Flanagan will face veteran Maurice Hooker for the super lightweight belt that sits vacant since Terence Crawford moved up in weight.
- The vacant 135 lb title will be disputed between long-time contender Ray Beltran and Paulus Moses of Namibia.
- WBO super bantamweight champion Jessie Magdaleno has reported an injury and his bout against Cesar Juarez has been postponed.
- In light of Magdaleno’s injury, an interim title bout between Juarez and Ghana’s Isaac Dogboe has been approved.
- Former 140-pound champion Terence Crawford will face WBO champion Jeff Horn.
- A rematch has been ordered between WBO super middleweight champion Gilberto Ramirez and Jesse Hart. Ramirez won a September meeting between the two but Hart filed a complaint pertaining to the hand wraps and a rematch was ordered.
- WBO Heavyweight champion Joseph Parker will face the winner of Alexander Povetkin and Germany’s Christian Hammer.
- The WBO light heavyweight title vacated by Andre Ward will be disputed between Sergey Kovalev and Vyacheslav Shabranskyy,
WBO 2017 Convention Highlights From The Floor / Check out more boxing news and features at The Sweet Science where the best boxing writers write.