Was it all Cotto's talent,or Sergio's diminished skills? What's next for Cotto?
Jun 08 2014 2:20 PM

Marcos Villegas and Michael Woods analyze the incredible win, or beating of Miguel Cotto over Sergio Martinez. It was even hard to watch the former champion take as much punishment and look so “out of it” in the ring.

But Cotto showed his skills, proved he has a lot more to accomplish,  question is, who will he measure up his talent against … some of the names: Canelo, Bradley, GGG, Pacquiao or Mayweather… Who do fans want to see Cotto fight next?

Read More:  http://ow.ly/xKzo1

It was both Cotto's talent and Martinez's diminished skills.

Though I thought Murray beat Martinez, that was really a close fight. Martinez didn't move like he used to in that fight and his punches didn't seem to have the same snap. But he still made things close and did enough in the eyes of the judges to win.

Here, a very similar Martinez was just obliterated by Cotto. Cotto did what Murray couldn't do and that is cut off the ring early and on a consistent basis. And his punches were a lot harder obviously than Murray's as well.

Martinez I think could have hung with a good fighter. But Cotto is much more than just a good fighter even at this stage of his career. And Martinez was no match for this version of Cotto on this night.

It was Sergio's knee. I watched it again just now and from the first round he couldn't use it at all. The knockdowns were as much for the pain in the knee than any punch in my opinion.

You could really see he wasn't wanting to put any weight on it. It was amazing to see him go on for so long because knee pain's can be excruciating especially considering he's moving as much as he is during a fight.

The knee was too damaged to fight any one really and I think I read somewhere on here he didn't have any sparring. He should consider retirement…

It was Cotto's talent, Martinez fading, [I]and Freddy's game plan.[/I] I think alot of us expected a hard charging Cotto like we saw against Rodriguez and although Cotto was pressuring him, it was not of the bull rush variety. It was pressure by constantly being in punching position, cutting off the ring, using his power to make Sergio circle the ring in a fashion opposite of what he was accustomed to. When you apply Cotto's talent with a great strategy, you end up with destruction and that is what we saw last night.

Unfortunately for Martinez, not only was he slightly hobbled, he was completely unprepared for what he fought. The Cotto that showed up last night looked a little like the Cotto that was trained briefly by Emmanuel Steward but much more calculating and aggressive.

I am not sure that a prime Sergio, like the one that beat Pavlik and Dzinzurik to a pulp, would have beaten Cotto last night.

A multi amount of people can see the same thing, but vast differences they will conceive and conclude.

From a boksing view, Ser-Mart will always suffer moderate-to-extreme injuries to his bottom extremities when going against shifting elite pugs. He cannot find them. So he suffer tears in his groin muscles, hips, knees, calves and ankles by trying to determine where to go and when will the fighers shift. (Holla at the fight again, and Ser-Mart's last two bouts and see it for yourself.)

But because of good public relations and just straight-up superman hiding, those who are not in the boksing loop, don't smell da poop or have a scoop and will believe the wrong things. There will always be certain type of fighters that you should stay away from if the money is not BIG, because they will cause you career consequences.

Look how Tim Bradley kept tearing up his ankles, feet and calves when he met Da Manny. Through the years, boxers get more damages on their feet, ankles, legs and hips than their torsos, mugs, ears and craniums. (Maybe inattentional blindness of fans cannot let them conceive this. If you think some of these former fighters' heads and hands hurt, you ought to holla at them about the deep paining lower section of their anatomy.

I've been trying tell you guys that boxing is a full-body sport just as baseball, basketball, swimming and tennis. Old boxers complain about their knees, hips and backs just as much as the doers of the above sports.

Ser-Mart has a few more years. He just needs to learn the B-Hop's optical illusions of fighting. Tie up opponents to throw their funk off and stay away from fighters with the precentage of the following:

Quick hands, shifting-gears feet while shooting multi punches, hooking and shift punching.

M-Co shift punched da hebejeebeez outta Ser-Mart.

My posting mates, you guys need to rewatch the fight and holla at M-Co shifty feet and stealth shift punches.

Beauty got the beast — I mean M-Co's foot work, shift punching and TNT Coach No Joke Freddie Roach's masterpiece choreographing the dance got the beast. Holla!

OMG! No sound! You have to read those lips. We don't need another hero — I mean a sign language bulljiver from South Africa. Hehe! Holla!

thegreyman says:

His injuries, and specifically his knee, seem to have become damaged to the point where he can't use them functionally- it really seemed like he was struggling to put any weight on that damaged knee for the entire duration of the fight, and some of the knock-downs seemed to me as much an issue of his not being able to brace his legs to take Cotto's punches as anything else. If you can't use your knee, you can't channel your own power through your legs, and similarly, you can't take your opponents punches.

If you don't have the use of your legs, you lose your own power, and the ability to take that of your opponent. That's what happened to Martinez- its as simple as that in my view.

Martinez should be getting credit for fighting at all, especially against a fearsome foe like Cotto. He came out and did his job in a very professional manner, despite being woefully under prepared by failing to spar and run. All we really saw him doing in the 24/7 series was hitting the heavy bag, and it's most likely all he could take.

To add to your points Grey, the lack of legs equals a lack of mobility. If you can't move then you're a sitting duck for whatever's coming your way. Sergio put up a good fight with whatever he hd in him and there's no shame in what it was. His corner took him to the end of the 9th but they didn't want to see their champion face irreparable damage to his knee.

[QUOTE=thegreyman;54992]I've only watched the fight once, and from what I saw, Martinez was simply in no condition to fight.

I don't mean to take away from Cotto's performance- he was looking sharp and powerful, and he exploited Martinez' weaknesses ruthlessly, but I don't think that Martinez would have had much of a chance against any opponent on Saturday night.[/QUOTE]

“First thing to go as a boxer is your legs,” it is said. Also a lot athletes in other sports have to turned boxing because of knee problems in the sport that they were in.

One does not need knees to “channel” power. Boxing power come from turn your hips. This is why you will hear trainers in the gym hollering at green fighters to “Put some @$$ in dat shot.”

“Turn 'em shots over and give me some booty in em! I want da booty on duty!”

Wrong sports my man. Nobody saying Jack about your knees unless you been out all night having sex. Then the oldtimers will get in your arse: “Stay off the bird.”

“Putang weakens knees.”

Help me out, all you fighters out there. How much fighters do you know have quit the sport because of bum knees. Or even use a “damaged knee” alibi. And how many fighters do you know came into the sports because of their knee[s] damaged from the sport that they were in.

Two active pugs come to my mind. Seth Mitchell and the United States super heavyweight representative at the 2012 O-Games.

You pugging guys know the deal. The trainers/coaches will tell you: “Well you got another knee. God gave you a pair, so that you will have a spare. As look as you can turn your @$$, you can fight. If you pull a muscle in the @$$, than let me know.”

Its really not even a topic for debate….. Cotto fought a helluva fight against a fighter with gimpy legs. It was obvious to anyone watching. Cotto would have given a healthy Martinez a decent fight I'm sure but I strongly doubt the outcome would have resembled what we witnessed last night.

Its both.

thegreyman says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;55021]”First thing to go as a boxer is your legs,” it is said. Also a lot athletes in other sports have to turned boxing because of knee problems in the sport that they were in.

“Turn 'em shots over and give me some booty in em! I want da booty on duty!”

“Putang weakens knees.”

The game is more than “The theatre of the unexpected,” it the arena of a lot of misconceptions and assumptions. Holla![/QUOTE]

Nice article Grey it led me to do some research. Thanks for posting.

“The night before has no effect on strength or endurance or any of the physical abilities of the athletes,” says physiology expert Dr Ian Shrirer, a former president of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine. “A lot of people think it has to do with the psychological effects.”

[QUOTE=thegreyman;55045]If you look again Radam, you'll notice I wasn't suggesting that the knees are the root of power, or anything else. I was simply saying that, if your knee(s) are shot to the extent that Martinez' are, then you'll not be able to plant your legs to throw or take a shot. I can't see how you can argue with that.

Also, the effects of putang upon performance have been studied and dismissed. Have a look at this. [URL=”http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27734048″>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27734048[/URL][/QUOTE]

What is the extent that Martinez's knee[s] are shot? So-called shot knees of American footballers and basketballers turn to boksing all the time.

I can name three heavyweights that became world champions with diagnosed bum knees after AmerKano footballing. But I will let TSS Investigative, finding-it-all Journalist S-To holla at that. It will give it more credibility, and halt ev'ybodee and dey from going tic to tac with yours truly.

I'm not buying Ser-Mart's exaggerations. And I don't know who actually saw the diagnose of his destroyed knee($).

Oh, YUP! Those who made that putang study ain't worth a hill of beans. And never been in any type of war. Every top warrior is separated from the putang several days before getting down. From the beginning of time the love tunnels of XX chromosomes Carriers have affected and gotten the XY chromosomes Carriers' arses KICK! Delilah got all of Samson's secrets. Hehehe!

The putang dejuices, defires, dethink, decommonsense and destroys your “IT.” This is why one of the tricks of the trade in war is to seduce and distract the opposition with with the most gorgeous whores known to mankind.

thegreyman says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;55067]

Snake oil salesmen studies never study the whole nine of actuality and reality. They are the same boot-legged researchers who put out studies that syet food have small effects on you, and proper one cannot cure you. YUP, RIGHT! Holla![/QUOTE]

The extent to which his knee was shot?

Apparently, it was shot to the extent that he could barely run or spar in camp, and that fight night, he could hardly put any weight on his bad leg- he simply couldn't fully support himself. Some of the knock-downs looked like they were caused as much by the 'shot' knee as by Cotto's punches. I don't know what fight you were watching if you didn't see that.

[QUOTE=thegreyman;55078]The extent to which his knee was shot?

The guy could hardly stand, and gets my unreserved praise for enduring 9 rounds with the pain I'm sure he must have been going through.[/QUOTE]

Bad-knee Cuban fatty Solis couldn't go two rounds when his wobby jive knee got shaky by Doc V.K. knee bumping him.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

It is what it is. We saw an energized, fully motivated Cotto with spring in his legs facing a guy with none in his.

The result is what we saw.

[QUOTE=Radam G;55083]We watched the same fight. Damaged goods up to the extend that you are claiming doesn't last nine rounds. Ser-Mart was well enough to go that distance. So the severity of his injury was not that bad IMHO.

No excuses for a man that was able to survive nine rounds plus. And was ready to holla at the last three. Holla![/QUOTE]

Solis is a fat a$$. Plus it happened in the fight, it popped, he couldn't support it.

Martinez has had time to rehabilitate and adapt to the movements. His knee didn't give all the way out in the fight. It just wasn't nowhere where it needed to be for a fighter, much less one with his style.

I watched the Cotto fight and IMMEDIATELY watched his match vs. Chavez to compare the mobility. No comparison.

I like Skibbz testimony from his own knee injuries. I don't think it's either or; either you crumble or you can fight. That guy was running on Macho Man heart. I bet he was in so much pain that he was jeopardizing his long-term health.

He looked like a pirate in there. But PROPS to you, Sensei Marvin, er, Radam! You called it!

(It's crazy that he's running camps at his age already, isn't it?)

thegreyman says:

At the end of the day, Cotto was sharp enough to exploit the weaknesses in Martinez. In my opinion though so are myriads of other fighters at middleweight- Sergio was in no condition to deal with an elite level fighter that night, whether his name was Cotto or not.