Shawn Porter is ready to defend his title against Britsh sensation Kell Brook
Aug 11 2014 9:41 PM

Undefeated IBF welterweight champion, Shawn Porter will defend his title against fellow unbeaten British sensation Kell Brook on August 16 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California and will air live on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING (SHOWTIME 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT)

Photo Credit: Esther Lin/SHOWTIME®

Thank the boxing gods. A real pick em fight. If brooks gets that jab working we might see an upset..this fight dictates the future of boxing

Absolutely, I just don't know enough about Brook which leaves me intrigued.

I know enough about Porter that he is coming to fight and it will be an intense and exciting affair.

The kid Porter is good for boxing

We have been discussing this one a lot and I am really looking forward to it on Saturday.

My opinion is that Porter is on the upswing in his career and getting better with each fight. He is not anywhere near the fighter that faced Julio Diaz a few years ago. If Brook's team thinks they are getting a Porter similar to that fight, they are in for a huge wake up call on Saturday.

Brook has a glossy record but has faced very weak competition. He has developed and been allowed to get away with some very bad habits in the ring. Those bad habits (pulling straight back with his chin up, dangling the left low and leaving his left out too long after he jabs), if not corrected, will cost him here dearly I believe. And once a fighter develops bad habits, its difficult to correct those in the course of one fight.

Porter's pressure, athletic ability and skill are something like Brook has never faced before as a pro. And to me, Brook is an ordinary fighter with decent skills who has been carefully matched on his way to a nice record. Porter's pressure and ability to make Brook pay for his mistakes will lead to a mid round TKO for Porter in this one.

I just think he will be in over his head against Porter.

Porter wins, and does so impressively.

[QUOTE=The Commish;61123]So many of Brooks' early fights were against guys with sub-.500 records. In fact, I believe his first 13 opponents had losing records, as did 15 of his first 16. In the United Kingdom, guys who lose by decision but show a sturdy beard are allowed to fight again and again by the BBBofC. Several of those first 13 opponents had over 100 losses. Others had over 75 losses.

I just think he will be in over his head against Porter.

Porter wins, and does so impressively.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

As usual you make perfect sense. You can't take batting practice for 5 years then step to the big leagues and not expect to be overwhelmed, and overwhelmed Brook will be.

I just think he will be in over his head against Porter.

Porter wins, and does so impressively.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

Well put. I think if Brook has any real chance of beating Porter he would have to develop some more power between his last fight and now. I have looked at some tape of Brook and he does have some qualities that are redeemable. He is a capable boxer, his hands are good, has some head movement and uses some precise punch angles.

When I think about my above description, that sounds alot like Paulie. We all know how that fight turned out. I see this one playing out like that one and has a possibility of being shorter as Brook is not nearly as slick as Paulie is.