Ron Katz, matchmaker for Star Boxing, says Algieri has a good chance of beating Provodnikov
Apr 20 2014 1:10 AM

Ron Katz,  gives his assessment on Provodnikov vs. Algieri,  says Chris Algieri has a good chance of beating current WBO light welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov when they face off on June 14 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Chris is gonna try and box ,Ruslan is going to try and steamroll him. Clash of two styles.

Algieri is taking a beating for a peanut purse of five figures. The $iberian Rocky is going to rub him out. Holla!

Algieri has skills and heart but Provodnikov will just prove to be too relentless. Algieri is the perfect opponent though as he will trade and make the fight fun while it lasts. And in the end, Provodnikov will get a sensational KO.

You guys know how it's happening Ruslan is going to maul him all over the ring, pillar to post. There's no where to run or hide with a tiger in the ring.

Algieri is getting better every time out. He is absolutely tireless, capable of throwing 100 punches a round. He fights very well using angles and has done quite well sparring with guys like Brandon Rios and many others from the Robert Garcia camp.

Ron Katz is a future Hall-of-Fame matchmaker whose opinion I value as much as anybody's. When I see that he picks Algieri to win, I say “He's supposed to say that–he works for Algieri's promoter. But when Katz tells me one-on-one that Algieri is going to win, and I agree with him, I know the Huntington, L.I., native stands one helluva shot.

I see Algieri being able to avoid Provodnikov's pounding blows and taking a unanimous decision.

I forgot to mention, Gerry Cooney & I have Chris Algieri joing us in-studio this Friday on SiriusXM's “Friday Night at the Fights” from 6:00-8:00pm (ET) on SiriusXM channel 92 and on the Sportszone app. You call callus toll-free at 1-866-522-2846.

[QUOTE=The Commish;50248]Radam, Skibbz, oubocat: You guys just may be correct about the Russian Rocky being relentless and beating Algieri from pillar to post and Algieri having no place to hide. But this is boxing. Has Provodnikov ever lost? Can he be hit? Is his defense somewhat loose?

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

I will say I am very intrigued by this fight. I was really impressed by Algierir's performance against Taylor and think he has more than earned this opportunity.

When it all comes down to it though, I don't think he has the power or speed to keep Provodnikov off of him. I think Algieri will have success at times early but eventually Provodnikov's relentless pressure with break through. Provodnikov is more than willing to take two, three or even more punches to get in a shot of his own. Eventually he is going to catch Algieri and then he is going to catch him again and again. Can Algieri withstand that constant pressure? If he had more power to dissuade Provodnikov from constantly charging forward, I'd say maybe. But I don't think he does. This will be a fun fight while it lasts but I see Provodnikov ultimately getting a mid-round KO.

Listen, It's not about reach, speed or power. It's all a matter of will. Ruslan will impose his on Chris, if Chris fails to impose his on Ruslan and maintain it.

The Mansi Mauler does not let up, does not cede an inch and does not give up. Ruslan has been fighting guys with speed and reach/height advantages on him all his life. It's nothing new to him… More importantly, any good boxer experienced enough can take away his opponents advantages, and that's how it'll end up for Chris.

I don't see a mid round stoppage, Ruslan finds himself down on points by the mid way stage against solid boxers, but that's when the gears are kicked up and the pain really starts coming through.

It'll happen in the 10th.