Robert Guerrero vs. Yoshihiro Kamegai
Jun 16 2014 11:24 PM

Guerrero vs. Kamegai is a 12-round fight promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona and AT&T.

In the co-main event Gary Russell Jr. faces Ukrainian star Vasyl Lomachenko in a 12-round showdown for the vacant WBO World Featherweight Title and in the opener Devon Alexander will face off against Jesus Soto Karass in a 10-round super welterweight match up.

It will take place at StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., and will air as the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® main event live on SHOWTIME  (10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT)

This fight is the main event but I think it is the biggest mismatch on the card.

I have seen Kamegai fight twice. The fight against Jorge Silva and fight against Johan Perez. These are really the only two recognizable names on his ledger as well.

The Silva fight was a good scrap between two fighters of very similar ability. It ended in a draw.

Johan Perez simply out classed Kamegai. Perez is known as a brawler and on paper this fight appeared as if it would be an all out war. But Perez boxed smart and slugged smart at times. He took what was given and frustrated Kamegai for 10 rounds. Kamegai had a hard time landing against someone who frankly has not been that hard to hit and when he did it had zero impact on Perez.

Kamegai does not move his head, squares up to his opponents often, is slow and leaves many openings.

Can he punch? In my opinion, no. The knockouts on his record are more a reflection of the level of opposition he has faced.

Guerrero is a much better boxer than Johan Perez. He is also much quicker than Perez. If Perez had so much success on Kamegai, imagine what Guerrero will do.

I think Guerrero is dominant from the opening bell. He will work off the ring rust and get into a rhythm quickly. I think he can get Kamegai out of there actually but that will be up to how much Guerrero wants to step on the gas. If he is content going the distance for an easy win, he can do that in his sleep. But if he wants to put on a show and maybe take a little calculated risk, I think he can easily get Kamegai out of there as well.

By the way, I think this fight should not be the main event on this card. It should be the opening bout of the Showtime telecast. Alexander-Soto Karass should be the co-feature and Russell-Lomachenko should be the main event.

thegreyman says:

I agree 100% Oubob. This is essentially a low risk tune up for the Ghost. I hope he gets the knockout to really put his name back out there.

Also agree with the order of the fights. Lomachenko and Russell are both minor stars, though maybe not to the casual fight fan. Theirs will be probably the greatest exhibition of skill and excitement that night, AND they're fighting for a world title.

The Guerrero fight isn't even a minor title fight like the Alexander-Karass bout, which should also be a more competitive one than the main event.

Bad move by the promoters if you ask me, I wonder why they put Guerrero on the headline? It would have made Lomachenko that much more of a public star (and thus money draw) to have him headline, or even co-feature.

Haymon is simply fulfilling his obligation to a fighter who held his end of the bargain.

Guerrero is a multiple champion in at least three divisions…. His unforgettable beat down of Andre Berto gained him more recognition than all of his other title efforts combined.

Not to mention this devout Christian Warrior has been blessed to share the ring with the self proclaimed “The Best Ever” Floyd Money Mayweather combined with the poignant backstory of helping his ailing wife to raise his beautiful daughters while fighting to earn money to pay for her struggle against cancer and it gets a little more understandable why he gets the “diva” treatment.

Also his public disagreement with Broner on twitter did wonders to raise his recognition level.

thegreyman says:

[QUOTE=brownsugar;55751]Mr Punch, Clinch and grab…Guerrero is invoved the least interesting fight on the card… But his profile ( in the US anyway) is by far the highest ranking among all the other participating boxers.

I agree with everyone that VLO vs Russell is the most highly anticipated and talent laden fight but Robert has earned first place in the pecking order the hard way whether I approve or not.[/QUOTE]

Well said Bsug, logical and undeniable.

You guys are so right. The Guerrero-Kamegai fight is a laugher of a main event.

Oubobcat: You say Kamegai does not move his head, squares to his opponent, is slow, leaves many openenings and is not a dangerous puncher. Sounds like the perfect opponent to bring Guerrero back against. Remember, Guerrero hasn't fought, er, been in the ring, since $$$May slapped him around over one year ago. Poor Guerrero needs a confidence builder. Or two. This is a perfect start.

As far as I'm concerned, V-Lo v Gary Russell is the main event, not the Guerrero v Kamegai matchup. I will save myself the time of watching in by DVR'ing it and speeding through it on Sunday morning.

I'm not sure if you can tell, but I'm not a fan of Guerrero!

It's been that way ever since he came up to SiriusXM for a string of interviews, then walked out right after the first one, leaving us all hanging.

[QUOTE=The Commish;55754]You guys are so right. The Guerrero-Kamegai fight is a laugher of a main event.

I'm not sure if you can tell, but I'm not a fan of Guerrero!

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

If I were guiding Guerrero's career and looking for an opponent to start him on the comeback trail, I would have picked Kamegai as well. Good record but an opponent that Guerrero can look good against without much risk and may even score a KO.

Commish, like you I am not a fan of Guerrero. The Duad Yordan told me eveything I need to know about him as a fighter.

The fight was in Guerrero's backyard but early on Yordan has having success landing a straight right and left hook. Yordan was frustrating Guerrero too by leaping in, landing a punch and then holding on. Its a boxing match, sometimes you face adversity through various tactics and need to find a way to work through it.

Anyway, there was an accidental head butt in the 2nd round that caused a cut over Guerrero's eye. It was a pretty bad cut but many fighters have fought on through such cuts. The referee immediately stated accidental head butt so everyone could hear.

Guerrero almost immediately began motioning after the referee's statement that the cut was impacting him. They were allowed to fight on a little longer but Guerrero kept pawing at it forcing the ref to stop the action to have the doctor look at the cut.

Here is where it gets interesting…Guerrero is walking over saying “I can't see, the blood is getting in my eye.” Watch the tape and the doctor's reaction, he didn't believe Guerrero. He thought he misheard him and Guerrero once again stated he couldn't see. The doctor was more than willing to let the fight go but the referee stated if he says he can't see I have to stop it.

Plain and simple Guerrero could have fought on but realized he was going to be in a much tougher than expected fight and choose to take the easy route out of it. No doubt that cut would have impacted him but he could have fought on. Also, listen to the HBO announcers commentary. They are not holding back any punches on their thoughts.

Now compare this cut to Javier Fortuna's face a few weeks ago or the closed eye of Algieri and let me know what you think. They both choose to fight through adversity.

Anyway, that fight turned me off on Guerrero.

Can he redeem himself from that outing? Absolutely but to me it has not happened yet.

The Ghost was away and now he's back, tuning up to prepare himself for greater challenges down the road. And for those of you guys saying this isn't going to be an exciting match up, I beg to differ! Kamegai is exciting in the ring and he loves to fight. He has a good chin and that special stoicism of the Japanese that allows him to endure and fight on even when he's faced with annhilation.

Check this fight highlight between him and Jorge Silva (the same Jorge who gave Angulo an exciting and closely fought fight before he went down hill). Enjoy the short clip!

@oubobcat the Yordan fight was over 5 years ago. A lot can change in that amount of time and in my opinion a lot has. Guerrero went on to win two more world titles and danced with the #1 P4P fighter in the world. He may have quit once but you don't follow that path if you're a quitter. Once a quitter always a quitter isn't always true. Sometimes the shame of quitting (or coming close to) is enough to place a permenant fire under your feet that never allows you to give in again.

I'm not saying that that's what's happened to Guerrero, but we must give him the benefit of the doubt. He isn't the first fighter to say 'no mas' but he is a member of that elite club of fighters who have won 3 or more titles in different divisions. He will come to fight, and so will his opponent. It will be an entertaining affair to top off what should be an exciting and very satisfying billing. Oh how 2014's been a good year so far!

Regarding the Jorge Silva fight, it was a good scrap. It was also a very evenly matched fight.

Silva had spots against Angulo but Angulo still pretty much dominated him for most of that fight.

Since the Angulo fight, Silva is 1-3. Silva was decisioned by a 13-5 fighter, TKO'd in 7 by a 28-14 fighter in a fight he lost every round and TKO'd by Alan Sanchez. The same Alan Sanchez that was dominated by Luis Collazo a few months earlier. Silva is a journeyman at best and he gave Kamegai all Kamegai could handle.

I do agree that a lot can change over the course of a fighter's career and fighter's can overcome certain things that occurred earlier in their career. He may be different now than he was on that night. But I am not convinced.

Why? Well, take the Mayweather fight. Yes he went the distance. But in my opinion, once things wern't going his way he mentally decided he'd be content in just going the distance. That'd be his “win.” He stopped trying to actually win the fight. Watch the tape and watch the middle to late rounds closely. Guerrero is not exerting anywhere near the effort he did earlier. He is not opening up as much in fear of being countered. He wanted to go the distance and wasn't willing to lay it all out there to attempt to change the course of the fight.

I love watching Silva for all of his crudeness I must admit. He fights like a real underdog never refusing to be beaten until it's TKO time. Very admirable character in my opinion.

Well come on Oubobcat, he came out flying but we're talking about Floyd Mayweather Jr, the best 147er in the world who is leagues and leagues above anyone else at that weight. Guerrero had just recently made his forays up and up the weight classes, not fully accustoming himself to the weight. It was clear the attributes that made him such an attractive force in the lower weights did not carry over into 147lb's. He tried his best the first few rounds but after that it was clear he was no match for Floyd.

He is not the only fighter to be bewitched by his opponent, he is not the only fighter to hold his guns back because he knows when he commits the faster, more skilled and more experienced opponent facing him will find no difficulty in making him pay. Going the distance was not a victory for him but just softened the blow to his pride as at least he was not left on the canvas and humiliated completely.

Floyd was too fast for the Ghost. He was too experienced, he was too intelligent. In every department Floyd beat his opponent. On the biggest stage of his life, earning the most he's ever likely to earn it is not so unbelievable that he wanted to ride out the storm in a fight he knew he could not win.

A blind attack will have had him on his rear facing a 10 count. He was – not by his own want – forced to try to out think Floyd because he could certainly not outbox him and had no chance of turning it into a fight because you can't hit what you can't catch! When you're resorting to out think the grandmaster you have already admitted defeat because your game plan has been flung out of the window.

There was no shame in Guerrero's performance, he was simply outclassed. He was not the first to suffer that fate at the hands of Floyd, and will certainly not be the last. If you play a master chess player, at first you may have desire to win but slowly but surely you will come to the realisation that winning is close to impossible for your opponent knows everything you have and he knows he has more. At that point you do your best to grind it out for as long as you can for the sake of pride.

I'm not sure if you can tell, but I'm not a fan of Guerrero!

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

He rubs me the wrong way too, Commish. I'd like to think I have a decent radar for personalities, vibrations and people's aura. He doesn't do it for me. I am not surprised in the least.

That whole Christian thing seems to fool people into thinking these dues are nice guys. Andre Ward, the biggest JF in boxing, has the soul of a hitman, a stone-cold killer. I've seen him be violent in the ring. Not just cheat but be violent.

Guerrero too. And Holyfield.

As a fighter, I think it's nice that he's willing to take on anyone. I'm intrigued to see what he brings in his return.

Ah, love those analogies to chess.

Unfortunately for Kamegai, his fight against Robert Guerrero will be less of a chess match than it will be him getting mugged bvy what will probably seem like three guys.

Terrible main event. I will apologize to Showtime if it turns into anything more.

It's the V-Lo v Russell fight which makes this a can't-miss event.

V-Lo v Russell.

But that's for a different thread!

[QUOTE=The Commish;55908]Ah, love those analogies to chess.

It's the V-Lo v Russell fight which makes this a can't-miss event.

V-Lo v Russell.

But that's for a different thread!

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping for Commissioner, then the stoic Japanese fighter will drop his gloves and overtly challenge his tormentor into a back alley brawl. I hope one breaks out!