Recap: Broner vs. Taylor, Matthysse vs. Ortiz, Berto vs. Upsher
Sep 07 2014 12:00 AM

Highlights from the September 6 Showtime Championship Boxing event featuring Adrien Broner, Emanuel Taylor, Lucas Matthysse, Roberto Ortiz, Andre Berto, and Steve Upsher.

Now, let's make Broner v Matthysse.

Will tsAH ever allow Broner near Matthysse, though?

Broner-Taylor was a solid fight. Taylor raised his game and certainly pushed Broner. It was not a fight of the year type fight but solid entertaining competitive fight.

Matthysse-Ortiz I was hoping for a bit more fireworks. It was apparent though after the first round that Ortiz was not in Matthysse's class. It was a nice knockout and too much was being made about the fight being called off. Frankly, it really didn't matter and probably saved Ortiz from taking some flush hard shots.

I was not impressed with Berto. Upsher is a club level fighter at best and a fighter who Berto should have gotten out of there with relative ease. Berto also got hit some by very telelgraphed punches and his defensive inefficiencies are still present. When he steps up, he will lose and depending on who he fights could get knocked out.

[QUOTE=The Commish;63365]The Broner-Taylor fight was interesting, with Broner lucky that Taylor is not a banger; Matthysse-Ortiz was expected, with a bit of controversy thrown in at the ending (but correctly so); and Berto did indeed win, but Virgil Hunter has work in front of him teaching Berto not to block punches with his face!

Now, let's make Broner v Matthysse.

Will tsAH ever allow Broner near Matthysse, though?

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;63418]Putting Broner in there with the machine is very high risk but with very high reward. If Broner beats Lucas he will be regarded (true or not) as a serious threat at 140. If he gets beat and beat in a Maidana type way, his career could be near over before he is 25.

If it is up to me, I don't do it. Taylor who was game but not incredibly skilled showed an excellent blueprint to trouble Broner. Matthysse is way more skilled than Taylor and thuds with the best of them. All of that is accompanied by a savage desire to fight and a decent chin. If I am Haymon and Broner, I let Lucas chase Garcia.[/QUOTE]

All good points, as usual. But what if Garcia moves to welterweight?

[QUOTE=The Shadow;63424]All good points, as usual. But what if Garcia moves to welterweight?

Since Lucas already smoked Pederson like Philly blunt, Matthysse and Broner would literally be the fight for the number one spot.[/QUOTE]

flackoguapo says:

Thurman, Garcia, Matthyse, Broner, Porter, Khan… mix em' up match em' up anyway IMO. Those names are compatible and are all “politically correct” in this boxing climate. Throw in Guerrero and Berto and Josesito Lopez! all part of TSAH stable.Entertaining and possibly great fights can be realistically made! will they though..?

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;63428]Matthysse said he will move to 147 if he can get Garcia again. I don't think Danny fights him again though and Mattyhsse will rumble with The Problem. I think Danny will take a tuneup fight and then try to get a big name in there with him. Floyd, Pac, Khan, Brook, and maybe Marquez are all in his sights but whether he can get one of them I believe is a completely different story.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=oubobcat;63493]Garcia made it perfectly clear on twitter he has zero interest in fighting Matthysse again. That fight appears very unlikely to happen. Garcia is definitely headed north to 147, maybe a fight with Rod Salka's charge Steve Upsher is in the makings next (just kidding, well I hope).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Shadow;63499]I forgot who it was but I saw this comment on Twitter. It said Andre Berto would be perfect fodder for Garcia's first touch at welterweight.

I certainly would favor Garcia in that one. But that fight has fireworks written all over it.[/QUOTE]

You know, that fight wouldn't surprise me. Garcia's star is rising and Berto's falling. This is an opportunity to get what I think would be an easy win for Garcia against a name opponent while also getting Berto a nice payday. Also, Berto still has plenty of options if he should lose to Garcia. To me, a rematch with Ortiz will happen someday and that is a fight that could be made anytime regardless of where each are in their respective careers.

Isnt Ortiz a full time Actor?

[QUOTE=brownsugar;63510]Isnt Ortiz a full time Actor?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=oubobcat;63615]Well I wouldn't say full time. But that phone rings and its a Watson twin on the other end pitching a Berto rematch late next year after Berto is beaten by Garcia offering the struggling actor a $400,000 purse for a Berto rematch I think the acting career gets temporarily put on the back shelf.[/QUOTE]

He's not really struggling OBC, he stay getting gigs! They set him up with some big shot Hollywood that keeps him busy.

He just landed this TV major hosting gig. I wouldn't be shocked to see this goof host some teen awards show soon.

I don't know how good of an actor he is, though. Have you guys seen him in action?