Ray Mancini: “Golovkin is action packed; Canelo is an ordinary fighter; Mayweather is special…”
Jul 22 2014 12:57 AM

Former  lightweight champion Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini is a big fan of Gennady Golovkin, not so much of Saul Alvarez, who he describes as an “ordinary fighter”, he also talks about the Mayweather vs. Maidana rematch.

Wow! Boom Boom tore it up. Canelo LOST. And he ain't special. Money May is. but he's scared of Da Manny. Three g is going places, but he's getting long in the tooth at 32. He needs to get jiggy with it. Holla!

Boom Boom was certainly a fighter who gave fans their money's worth all the time and I can see why he likes such fighters as Golovkin, Santa Cruz, Mares, Doniare, etc. These are aggressive action fighters and well guess what Boom Boom was inside the ring as well. Being from Northeast Ohio myself, when I first got into boxing I got my hands on as many Boom Boom fights as I could. He will always be one of my favorites.

brooklynrules says:

Canelo is looking ORDINARY. He barely beat Trout, Angullo looked like he was on sedatives; and Lara, well, enough said.

Boom Boom was spot on the most part, especially on Canelo. I think Radam was the only guy who was with me when I said that when I saw Canelo fight Alfonso Gomez, Canelo showed me he was very beatable. Canelo is one dimensional, with slow feet and no head movement. He hits hard (and I am beginning to question that) but the positives stop there.

The only place I disagree with Boom Boom is Mayweather vs. Benitez. I don't think Benitez smokes Floyd by any stretch and I think I would actually lean towards Floyd if you are talking prime vs prime.

[QUOTE=brooklynrules;58969]Mancicni should do more fight analysis. he's savvy, intelligent, well-spoken; and he mentioned the unmentionable that I have been considering since the Lara fight:
I think Canelo needs to look to Freddie Roach or Abel Sanchez, cuz Canelo is simply not growing in skills[/QUOTE]

I agree, I would actually love to see Boom Boom as a television analyst. He knows the sport and is very well spoken. He called one of the Top Rank shows from Macau last year and did a tremendous job. I was hoping we'd see more of him but that was it.

flackoguapo says:

He said ” He can bring down a building if you stand in front of him but once you move hes done” and Boom Boom is right. Canelo looks stiff as shieyt in there.

One guy who I think got better with time(especially defensively) was Marco Antonio Barrera. I think he is a more special fighter than Canelo but I think they are similar because they are offensive combination fighters with limited athleticism. Both came up from the early age but Barrera was fed to the lions a bit sooner than Canelo.(Barrera vs Mckiney great fight!) Barrera got craftier with his footwork(offensively and defensively) later on in his career and always improved on that waist-bending constant rhythm through-out the bout. I would think he would be a good fighter for Canelo to study and pick some things from. He does not have the natural condition or stamina as Barrera obviously but it would just be a good study for him that would contain realistic improvements for him ,IMO.

I am thrilled to be having Ray Mancini in-studio withme & Gerry Cooney today from 7-8pmj (ET) on my show. I would love to hear him doing commentary on one of the boxing networks. The new Fight Channel should employ him.

If you do get SiriusXM, he will be in-studio & on-the-air withmer & Cooney from 6-8pm (ET). You can call in toll free at 1-866-522-2846.