Mike Alvarado trainer, Shann Vilhauer, says Alvarado wants to beat up Marquez
Mar 29 2014 3:40 PM

Shann Vilhauer chats with Marcos Villegas about the challenges Mike Alvarado had before his last fight against Provodnikov, and how the distractions affected his performance.

Their plan therefor has changed in preparation for this next challenge against Juan Manuel Marquez, they will train in Los Angeles away from distractions.

“Mile High” Mike Alvarado will be facing Juan Manuel Marquez on May 17 in a  welterweight rumble that will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing®, beginning at 10:15 p.m. ET/PT.

And I'm riding with trainer S-Vil. Mile High Mike will indeed beat up and bust up the now-zombie-moving Marquez. And when he morph into Hulkquez, he is indeed squared up and throwing — now shooting — one punch.

He should've quit after kayoing Da Manny. Marquez has gotten greedy and is no longer uncanny.

He's gonna be easy meat for Mile High Mike to beat. And you heard it here first. Holla!

Easy meat but I don't think he will be too easy to digest.. He's still got the smarts if he aint got the speed. He's got the experience in bundles of Alvarado. I don't think it's too hard to picture a 7-5 victory for marquez.

This fight is all dependent on how Mile High comes out. If he comes and revels in the awe of a past Marquez… He's gonna get it. If he comes and takes it to Manuel, shows no mercy and gives him some real punishment like he be talking.. Then he's gonna drop win himself an all expenses flight to Macau or the MGM, for an exclusive 12 round date with Manny.

OT: I really don't want to see Pac Marquez 5, Bradley Marquez 2, Rios Alvarado 3 or any other possible match up with these 5 fighters.. Arum aka the Bobfather needs to offer some new flavour in his dishes..

It is a decent matchup and a good one for Mike who has been beaten up physically the last few fights.

Some good rest and a slowing one puncher in Jmm may be what he needs to rebound.

JMM's power, thanks to his special vitamins will be there, but his feet are of slow now and he wont catch the rangey MA.

I take MA on points and then JMM finds himself fighting in Mexico in six months.

Mike Alvarado looks huge.

Marquez by robbery? It's bound to happen eventually, if any karmic justice exists.

Rolling with Juan. I think even a shell of his former self is enough to beat Mile High Mike. Mike has taken three consecutive beatings and especially a bad one at the hands of Provodnikov. Marquez still has enough to counter Mike well plus Marquez will capitalize on the fact that Alvarado holds his hands a little low (slightly below his mouth), loads his punches, and has a wide stance which limits his mobility. Alvarado also likes to mix it up so he will be in Marquez's range even though that is not where his advantages lie. Marquez tastes the canvas but wins 8 rounds.

[QUOTE=Skibbz;47559]I see your angle Doc, but I'm not sold. Alvarado was deep in the trenches in his past 3 fights and no one can deny it. He was handed a proper beating by Provodnikov and he called it an evening in front of his paying fans. But Marquez? He has the attributes to beat him. If he uses them, then he's got the fight in my opinion although it will be close. 8-4/7-5 to either fighter is what I'm expecting.

It's all down Mile High. If he gets sucked into a gun fight his chances are slim. Should he box, work the jab and stay focused… I got him ahead. But your right he does lead with his chin a fair bit, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Someone will go home with their career going downwards, my money aka smart money says it'll be Marquez.[/QUOTE]

Skibbz you are on point with saying if he boxes his chances are much greater of getting the W. I just don't think he has it in him to do it. He tried to box Rios for a while in their second fight, but his old ways showed once the heat was turned up. He rarely tied Rios up and if he backed up, he backed up in a straight line which is an absolute no no. I love Alvarado's guts, heart, and tenacity but as great as it is, you have to kind of wonder if it is to his detriment. Alvarado reminds me a little of Katsidis in that each of them were possibly too tenacious. They have tools to do otherwise but that fire in them will not let them. However, each guy almost always makes for an entertaining slugfest.

You may be right Doc. He tried to box against Ruslan too but he got dragged into a fight in 4 rounds, all of which he lost. He found success in every round he boxed, and I had him up 4-2 by the end of R6, all thanks to his boxing. The next 4 rounds Ruslan took a bite and never let go, and Mike decided he had taken enough for one night.

I think it's got to a point in his career where it's make or break. If he doesn't do the right thing in the ring, the ending will draw rapidly forward. If he can box and box consistently in his upcoming bout, he's looking at a lottery ticket with his name written on it (should he win). Like I said, his fate is in his own hands..