Mike Alvarado lost to Marquez, feels scores should have been closer
May 18 2014 5:55 AM

Mike Alvarado tried to make his age and power work in his favor against Juan Manuel Marquez, but  that was not enough against a more experienced fighter that ended up out-boxing him.

Alvarado however showed his heart and proved he is a warrior, after coming back from an 8th round knockdown and giving an spectacular show.

I thought the scores were right on the money. I had it 117-109 myself for Marquez.

Alvarado showed a lot of heart but I think fought the wrong strategy. He is a good fighter and makes for good fights. He will be back. I just hope he takes a bit of a break from the ring before doing so. He has been through some difficult fights of late and just needs to give his body a breather before resuming his career.

This dude is a grade A excuse-maker.

He lost — 118-109. He even lost the round in which he scored a KD.

Alvarez reminded me of a kid who got separated from his parents in a large department store ….wandering aimlessly through the first 5 or 6 rounds until he finally got tired of being assaulted by Marquez and made a conscious decision to fight back. He may have won two rounds.

El che says:

Los dos son buenos en el ring, pero me incline siempre hacia Juan Manuel pues es un hombre de muchos cuidados en su deporte y la vida familiar, Marquez se ha trazado una meta y creo que si sigue asi lo alcanzara, felicitaciones a esos dos vergatarios en el rin .!

Wow! “Mile High” Mike has cojones in that interview admitting that Hulkquez made him gun shy. Just imagine if MHM would've been gun blasting like he did in round 10. We could've indeed had a fight of the year candidate. Holla!

[QUOTE=Skibbz;53120]I think someone got hit a few too many times in recent fights and they've taken their toll majorly. Where does Alvarado go from here do you guys think? I think Rios would put him away if they were to meet again. I read someone talk about an Ortiz fight should the iron wall collapse.. I guess it would be good but I wouldn't bet on either guy.[/QUOTE]

If I were his people, I aim to get him back in the ring (maybe back in Denver) sometime early next year in a tune up fight. Then start to look at options.

[QUOTE=oubobcat;53149]Alvarado needs a break. Just look at his recent schedule, so many all out wars in the last three years. The Prescott fight was a war, so was the Herrera fight, so to were both Rios fights, he took a beating from Provodnikov and was just now taken apart by Marquez. Alvarado needs a good break just to recoup.

One name I heard mentioned was Postol. That could be a definite possibility. If things cool some with Oscar and Arum, maybe a Golden Boy fighter becomes an option down the line as well. There is always a rubber match with Rios as well.[/QUOTE]

Agree with the take some time off then take a tomato can theory. I think after that he should see if he could get Devon Alexander in the ring. Its a fight that would draw some interest in that there are two recognizable names and for Alvarado even if he got hit alot, he would not take a beating as Alexander does not pack a huge wallop.

In my opinion a fight back in his hometown would be good but feeding him a punch bag isn't the right choice. To win back the fire his fans he needs someone who can make things interesting, someone who is eager to do well and not shy from coming stateside.

How about John Murray? He recently lost to Anthony Crolla, he's a decent boxer with good range. I'm sure if he and Alvarado got it on it'd quickly turn into an attractive spectacle, which crucially I believe Mile High may be able to win. Let's not forget Rios beat Murray a few years back so it's certainly doable for Mike.

Postol? I think he's too good for Alvarado.

[QUOTE=Skibbz;53163]You're right about his recent fight history. What the man needs is a long break, to reassess his position in the sport and decide what it is he wants from the time he has left.

Postol? I think he's too good for Alvarado.[/QUOTE]

Murray is a great suggestion and would be an ideal opponent. But I don't think Murray takes it. He can make more money if he continues his career fighting lesser names in the UK for probably more money.

On name similar to Murray in the states would be Roberto Garcia. It would be a fun fight style wise but Alvarado is more skillful and is a fight I think he should be able to handle. If he can't, well then it would be an excellent sign that retirement should be next.

Of course, Alvarado still needs the break first.

I think Alvarado can beat Murray and that's why it would be a great fight. Both guys have a shot to win and that's when fights can be the best.

You could be right, i'm not too sure how much Murray is making now but he is definetly a bigger name here in the UK than he is in the US for obvious reasons. He commands a lot more sway over the purse strings here in the UK too.. but a win over Alvarado in the US could improve his position greatly. Although he's only 29, there are some great young fighters coming up through the ranks and in my opinion he has to do his best to get some big fights across the pond if he can to bolster his shot at the bigger purses. After losing to Crolla his options in the UK aren't looking great.

[QUOTE=The Shadow;53002]This dude is a grade A excuse-maker.

He lost — 118-109. He even lost the round in which he scored a KD.[/QUOTE]

Mike Alvarado truly is a grade A excuse-maker. He said all the right things in the ring immediately after the fight, but then started singing a whole different tune minutes later.

Mike should face reality–he was outhustled and outclassed by a 40-year old veteran. It doesn't really matter what the scores were.

In the end, Alvarado lost.