Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez – Final press conference
Jun 04 2014 10:50 PM

Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez hosted their final press conference at The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Cotto and Martinez will be collide on June 7, 2014 for Martinez' WBC middleweight title.
PRESS CONFERENCE QUOTES
MIGUEL COTTO:
“To be the first Puerto Rican to win a world title in four divisions would be an achievement.  Gomez, Benitez, there have been a lot of good fighters from Puerto Rico before me.  When I started boxing, Tito Trinidad was our big star.  A victory on Saturday night would make me feel happy and proud.  I would like to be remembered as a boxer who tried to do his best.”
SERGIO MARTINEZ
“It is not only Austin Trout that made it a difficult fight for Cotto, but Mayweather and Pacquiao as well. We have looked at all of those fights, and picked up on different things that have worked against Cotto. My trainer Pablo Sarmiento has come up with a great game plan and you will see me execute it perfectly on Saturday night.
“I don't hate Cotto, never. I get upset with some of the things that he does and says, but I don't hate him. We are professionals and we must act like professionals.”

“Cotto vs. Martinez” takes place at New York's iconic Madison Square Garden on Saturday, June 7 at 9:00 p.m. (ET)/6:00 p.m. (PT), and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®.

Signs of things to come.

One of the first thing Sergio talks about is his knee brace.Instead of talking about his training or motivation he addresses this. “There are no issues with the sheath I will be using for my knee on fight night. Once the commission saw what it actually was I was using, they were completely OK with it.

Right after that he talks about how hard it is to come back from his injuries. “It was very hard for me to come back from this, (the knee and shoulder injury) but I have an excellent team behind me, and more than that I have my ego and that is what drove me to get back to where I was before the injuries occurred.

Well having an ego is a good thing if it reasonable but for him to say that not all Argentinians are looking forward to the world cup but all Argentinians are looking forward to watching him. That is a bit too much. I wonder who has more fans in his country, him or Messi ? “Not all Argentinians are looking forward to the World Cup, as not everyone is a soccer fan but I can assure you that everyone in Argentina is definitely looking forward to and paying attention to this fight.

I can tell you from first hand experience , all Argentinians are looking forward to soccer! My friend is the bartender at Nevada Smiths in NYC and in that place soccer is religion. He says it is packed to the rafters every day with everyone but especially Argentinians and Brazilians.

I am going with Cotto.

[QUOTE=deepwater2;54521]Signs of things to come.

I am going with Cotto.[/QUOTE]

Well Argentines do love their boxing but I think you're right they probably fancy football more. Still watching Sergio this weekend will be all the Argentines who will watch the World Cup you can be certain of it.

Both boxers talked in a rush like they had somewhere else to be…. Cotto as usual, going bug eyed occasionally as if he'd never done any public speaking before.
And Maravella, Speed talking his way through a brief and tidy little speech.

Sometimes fighters don't like to be in the company of their opponents due to the increasing build up of animosity and the desire to simply release the all the aggression they have stored up since the fight was signed.

Nervous energy all over the place like a chilly desert wind.

If this press confrontation was any indication of what to expect tomorrow…. even though there was no false displays of bravado,… no machismo filled declarations of savage intentions.

I think we're going to be treated to a deliciously appetizing serving of blood, guts, and glory tomorrow night.

I'll take that Brownsugar, both guys look like they're out to do real harm!

[B][QUOTE=brownsugar;54655]That was the most sedate and uneventful Final Press Conference I have ever seen…. My mind kept wandering to astounding symmetrical perfection of ring girls standing just behind them. Wow!![/B]

[QUOTE=brownsugar;54655]That was the most sedate and uneventful Final Press Conference I have ever seen…. My mind kept wandering to astounding symmetrical perfection of ring girls standing just behind them. Wow!![/QUOTE]

Agreed. I didn't realize there was a press conference until about 4 or 5 minutes in.