Miguel Cotto: “I don't have any worries about Sergio, I will definitely win the fight”
May 28 2014 10:09 PM

Three-division world champion Miguel CottoRico will attempt to become Puerto Rico's first four-division world champion, for this, he will have to beat current WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, who has never lost a championship fight . Cotto vs. Martínez will take place on Saturday, June 7, at the “Mecca of Boxing,” Madison Square Garden, and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®, beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT.

HBO's Emmy-Award-winning series “24/7 Cotto/Martinez” premieres This Saturday! May 31 at 11:15 p.m. ET/PT on HBO.

2 Days: Sergio Martínez HBO Replay Schedule (All Times ET/PT): May 28 (12:30 a.m.), 29 (5:30 p.m.), 30 (10:30 a.m.), 31 (7:00 p.m.) and June 3 (12:30 p.m. & 3:30 a.m.), 5 (1:15 a.m.), 6 (6:45 p.m.) and 7 (10:45 a.m.).

Face Off: Cotto/Martinez HBO Replay Schedule (All times ET/PT): May 29 (4:45 p.m.), 30 (9:45 p.m.) and June 3 (12:45 p.m. & 3:45 a.m.), 5 (1:00 a.m.), 6 (8:00 a.m. & 6:30 p.m.) and 7 (10:30 a.m.)

Read More: http://goo.gl/AiDkI5

I am sure Miguel Cotto is in great shape. He always is. He is a very proud warrior. I just see him in against another very proud warrior, Sergio Martinez, who I view as simply too big for him.

Martinez may not have fun when the fight is engaged in the trenches, but from the outside, where I see most of the fight taking place, I think Martinez will have things his way (seeCotto v Austin Trout).

Cotto's face will be puffy and swollen, but he'll still be throwing at the final bell. It'll be an action fight all the way.

Boxing is in for an exciting month!

I'm riding shotgun with MC. He will be too much for SerMart and those reconstructed knees. Holla!

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;53895]The closer this fight gets I start to realize that both of these guys have a ton riding on this fight. Huge checks await each if they win. If they lose both of them are at a point where they have to question how much longer they want to fight. If they lose badly, you could almost consider their career over.[/QUOTE]

There is much more riding on this fight for Martinez than Cotto I believe. But if either do get blown out, it will be devastating to their respective careers.

With a loss, Cotto still has big money opportunities available to him. A fight with Canelo Alvarez for example seems destined to occur one day. Win or lose, he will make a lot of money fighting Canelo.

As for Martinez, he is not the name that Cotto is. So a win means a lot more to him. A win would also mean that he would hold onto the lineal Middleweight Championship. And believe it or not, that does carry some marketability. A loss means he becomes an opponent for somebody down the line if his career continues and that means making a lot less money.

If the Sergio that fought Murray is in the ring against Cotto then Cotto will stop Sergio

Thats the thing… A fighter can be held together with clothes-hanger-wire and duct tape but he'll proclaim at the top of his lunges that he's found the fountain of youth, his dna has been rewritten, and that he fights with renewed purpose.

When in fact they cant bend a knee more than fifteen degrees, cant put more than fifty pounds of presser behind a punch……. wasnt healthy enough to get into fighting shape during camp. (and are only in it for the money)

The best Miguel Cotto can't compete with the best Maravella, I'm sure of this….. i dont think Martinez will be completely broken down physically but I doubt he will be at his best.
This one is difficult to call because I havent seen any video of Sergio doing anything to show that he's all the way back to physically.

And in the deceptive propaganda ridden pre-fight world of boxing, this too could also be a ploy.

We're not far from this bout now, I think Cotto will come with dogged determination to finally cripple Sergio infront of his fans. The problem is I just don't see him being able to do it. Martinez has everything riding on this fight, he's been a rock of determination in the past and I have no doubt that he will be the same again this time around.

He's faster than Cotto, moves better than Cotto and his the bigger man. He's going to mark up Cotto from the outside before stepping in and stepping it up through the middle rounds. Cotto will pay for disrespecting the Champion and he's going to pay for it with his blood.

thegreyman says:

[QUOTE=thegreyman;54177]I think Cotto is going to be too physical, too brutal, and too fit for Martinez. Cotto's a dog and he'll be on Martinez all night, exposing any weakness however carefully hidden by the champ. Cotto's going to come in real strong, and while I have no doubt that Martinez will too, especially with his advantages in size, I can see Cotto bullying him past breaking point with those lovely body shots.

Also, what's with Martinez doing all this weight training and protein shake in camp? I may be a traditionalist when it comes to training methods, but I really can't see the advantages of that rubbish.[/QUOTE]

I agree it doesn't look good taking those protein shakes and lifting weights, but it's worked for him in the past. It can be difficult to do calisthenic exercises with damage to the knee(s) so maybe that's a reason why his team have opted to lift weights?