Leo Santa Cruz defeated Miguel Roman via TKO in Rd.2 wants Rigondeaux next
Sep 14 2014 9:38 PM

Undefeated WBC Super Bantamweight World Champion Leo Santa Cruz (28-0-1, 16 KOs) made the third successful defense of his title in the co-feature, registering a second-round TKO at 55 seconds with a straight right hand that floored Miguel Roman (17-3-3, 6 KOs).

After the fight, the two-division world champion called out WBA and WBO Super Bantamweight World Champion Guillermo Rigondeaux.

“I want Guillermo Rigondeaux,” Santa Cruz said. “I'm not scared of him. I want my manager to make the fight so I can prove I'm the best.”

Great fight. Big mistake by Leo Santa Cruz.

Big mistake.

Huge.

Maidana wanted to throw 100+ punches per round v $$$May. He was negated and shut down all the way. LSC is another 100+ punches per round guy.

Not against Rigo will he be able to do that.

Big mistake by LSC.

His mistake is our pleasure.

Hope this fight gets signed.

[QUOTE=The Commish;64356]Great fight. Big mistake by Leo Santa Cruz.

Big mistake.

Huge.

Not against Rigo will he be able to do that.

Big mistake by LSC.

His mistake is our pleasure.

Hope this fight gets signed.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd love to see the fight. I do agree though that Rigo would prevail. And I am guessing someone else may be of that mind set and that is Al Haymon. So am I holding out hopes for this fight, no.

I think Santa Cruz is going to 126 and Showtime would love to match him with Abner Mares. I see Haymon getting on board but also asking for one showcase card and a couple paydays for each Santa Cruz and Mares before this happens.

So early next year I look for a card headlined by Santa Cruz facing Jhonny Gonzalez for the WBC belt and underneath Mares facing Rocky Juarez. The idea being then to match the winners in the summer.

thegreyman says:

What makes you think it's such a big mistake Randy? I think it can only be a good thing for two of the best fighters in the division to fight each other- for the fans and fighters alike.

Even if Cruz doesn't win, which he may not, then he'll still increase his value by putting on a good display against possibly the p4p best fighter of today. And if he does win, he can unify the division.

So many great fighters in that division, I support the idea I saw recently of holding another 'Super 6' in the Bantamweights.

LSC is a fighter who, like Marcos Maidana, loves to overwhelm an opponent. Like Maidana, LSC is capable of tossing over 100 punches per round, a truly remarkable number, especially as a fight goes into the later rounds.

As you saw with $$$May v Maidana II, constant movement totally took Chino's fight plan away from him. The ultra-magnificent defensive skills and movement of G-Rigo will give LSC fits. In addition, LSC has a pourous defense. He leaves himself open many times on his way inside. Only, his opponents don't get to capitalize on that, because they are too busy defending themselves from the onslaught coming their way.

G-Rigo will pick LSC apart. As the fight moves into the later rounds–and I do believe there will be later rounds–G-Rigo will begin having target practice at a slowing and vulnerable LSC.

I agree that LSC will put on a good display, and his stock will not fall any in the face of defeat to G-Rigo.

For myself and other fans, I pray this fight can and will be made. For LSC, it should be a nice payday, but the loss of the ZERO on the right side of his ledger.

[QUOTE=The Commish;64664]In my mind, it's a mistake for LSC only because I think it's a fight he cannot–and will not–win.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Commish's assessment.

This is a fight first of all I'd love to see. It a match between two excellent fighters with completely different styles. For us purists, its a dream potential matchup.

That said, I'd make Rigondeaux a substantial favorite. Why? Rigo is a natural counterpuncher, period. He is at his best when his opponents are willing to be aggressive and open up.

Guess the only way Santa Cruz knows how to fight. That's right, being aggressive throwing a large volume of punches.

Santa Cruz will attack and Rigondeaux will skillfully use movement and his advanced defensive skills to make Santa Cruz miss a lot. If Santa Cruz does get something through, in all likelihood it will at least be partly blocked or partially landed. Its very difficult to hit Rigo clean.

Santa Cruz's aggressive style with give Rigo plenty of counterpunching opportunities. Rigo will pick and choose carefully his moments to let his hands go. He will land clean shots and move (see the Donaire fight). It will be a boxing lesson. The crowd may be booing at the end but Rigo will have his hands raised with a wide decision win.

thegreyman says:

I don't disagree Commish- Rigo is a top pound for pound fighter, 1st or second on my list, and I personally would not bet on Cruz to win.

In fact I'm pretty certain he'd lose by some margin.

However I think Cruz would have his spells, and would make it a decent fight- he has great boxing ability and power- and I think his comparison to Maidana is an unfair one.

If the Flash can sit the Cuban down, then I have no doubt that Cruz would find his spots too.

I think though, that until proven otherwise, Rigo will impose the same masterful dominance on every fighter around his division, regardless of their skill, power, experience or hunger.

It's just a question of how you look as you go down.

flackoguapo says:

Santa Cruz will need to go back to his busier self or the same thing that happened to Canelo with Mayweather will happen to him and that is get your eyes,ears and toes boxed off because you think you can outbox the boxer. I have seen that in his past couple fights Santa Cruz is evolving and being a little more choosy with his punches, but if he tries to implement a game-plan along those lines then I see a dull fight and it being milk and cookies for Rigo. I have Rigo either way but if Santa Cruz wants to give himself the best possible chance (IMO of course) he needs to make sure he doesn't leave punches in the tank. There are fighters who I think fight best teetering that line of instinctive combat with tactical awareness with the former being where they might be more competitive (depending on the styles) Great fight either way and I love when boxing can make fights like this happen.

[QUOTE=The Commish;64356]Great fight. Big mistake by Leo Santa Cruz.

Big mistake.

Huge.

Not against Rigo will he be able to do that.

Big mistake by LSC.

His mistake is our pleasure.

Hope this fight gets signed.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you completely Commissioner. You couldn't be more right in your prediction that the masterful pugilist Rigondeaux will shut down the work rate and output of Leo Santa Cruz.

You said Maidana was a 100+ punches per round guy and that LSC is much the same, but I would like to remind you that so too is Chris Algieri, your nurse from Huntington.

Now I bring this back to your attention because you asserted the claim that Algieri, C-Al, would dazzle and blitz his way through an output of 100+ punches per round against Mayweather – I ignore your claim that Pacquiao will be beaten by C-Al, after which you assume C-Al will get his legs into action against Mayweather.

Please enlighten me as to how you believe Chris Algieri will be able to throw 100+ punches per round successively against Mayweather and yet LSC will falter against Rigondeaux.

I do believe this is a wildly entertaining fight with contrasting styles.

I think that Rigo eventually imposes his will on Leo and frustrates him more than slows him down.

Although Leo is a volume puncher with good technique, he does stay in the pocket a while and when he does get out of the pocket he almost always backs straight up. Rigo will be able to easily counter him if he continues with that habit.

In addition, the smarts of Rigo are often overlooked and he is very smart fighter. I would not be surprised if he puts in some early body work to slow Santa Cruz some when the championship rounds approach. I am almost sure that he will realize what a few good body shots can do to a pressure fighter and employ that technique.

thegreyman says:

Interesting question Skibbz.

How is it that Leo Santa Cruz [U]won't[/U] be able to get off, yet Algieri [U]will[/U]?

Hmmm.

It is a question that has me perplexed. The reason being that if we suppose that the gulf between Mayweather and Rigondeaux in terms of boxing skill, ring IQ and athleticism is very small – and to also assume correctly that the gulf between LSC and C-Al in terms of boxing skill, ring IQ and athleticism is very large, then I can't help but fail to see why or how one succeeds where the other fails.

Don't leave us in the lurch Commissioner!

[QUOTE=Skibbz;64887]Don't leave us in the lurch Commissioner![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;64898]I actually agree with Commish but I will let him answer first. I may have a different point of view but will arrive at the same conclusion.[/QUOTE]

I'm intrigued to know why Doc. I don't see Algieri being allowed by floyd to hit him with a volume of punches, even if he were to have the opportunity to fire 100+ a round they would not find their target. Algieri has no experience against the Philly crab and certainly not against someone who employs it so masterfully as Floyd. Then remember that Floyd actually has one of the best offensive arsenal's in the sport too then you really become dumbfounded at the claims…

Here is why in my opinion…

Rigo is a counterpuncher first. Period. That is his game. He wants his opponents to lead. He wants them to throw. He wants them to throw a lot. And when they do, he is a master of making them miss or picking them off (using his feet, always being in the right position and great defensive technique). When he makes them miss, he uses his very fast hands to get off and get out of range. He has very fast hands and equally fast feet. And his power is enough to get opponents honest and does pack something behind it. Another reason why those that face him sometimes look lethargic and unable to get off. They are concerned about what's coming back if they do.

thegreyman says:

[QUOTE=oubobcat;64957]I agree with the Commish that Santa Cruz's volume won't be the same against Rigo.

Here is why in my opinion…

By doing this, he frustrates his opponents and makes them start thinking about when to open up. Fighters that think are not throwing. Their volume goes down. In my opinion, this is what will happen to Santa Cruz. It won't be Agbeko like but his volume will go down. He will be leery about being countered and more hesitant as the fight goes on to let his hands go.[/QUOTE]

This is true, but I think that Skibbz is wondering that if the counter-punching Rigo prevents Santa-Cruz from getting off, then why wont the counter-punching Mayweather be able to stop Algieri's volume?

Especially when we consider Mayweather's superior experience in the pro ranks, and Algieri's relative inferiority in skill compared to Santa-Cruz.

This is the question being posed to the Commish.

Here is why in my opinion…

I don't think anyone can dispute that Oubobcat, can you offer any wisdom as to why Rigondeaux can halt LSC's output but Floyd Mayweather, the man who sits atop the TSS and almost every other P4P rankings, can't stop Algieri's?