Kell Brook wants to prove himself against major challenge
Aug 31 2014 12:56 AM

IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook will defend his newly won title in December, and although an opponent is yet to be picked, Brook's team want only top names that represent a true challenge for Kell Brook. If his title defense is successful it is expected that his second defense comes against Amir Khan in 2015.

Denise Alvarez says:

[QUOTE=Denise Alvarez;62592]Kell Brook should fight Keith Thurman. When asked at the post fight interview who he would like next, Brook SPECIFICALLY said Thurman.Thurman is a bigger challenge for Brook than Khan is and Thurman needs that one big fight with a top ten contender to catapult his career.[/QUOTE]

Most importantly, however, Thurman has the mental edge. He doesn't believe he can lose, for one, and two, he believes he can knock ANYONE out he fights.

[QUOTE=The Shadow;62593]That's an interesting fight. I really don't know what happens in that one. Brook may have a slight edge in skill – though I'm not sure – but Thurman has the edge in power.

A fighter with that type of belief is INCREDIBLY tough for an evenly-matched fighter to beat — and for that reason, that self belief often becomes the deciding x-factor.[/QUOTE]

If Kell Brook brings the Shawn Porter gameplan to a Thurman fight he wins and I think easily. Thurman while a good boxer has some holes in his defense. Soto Karass was able to touch him and he throws molasses moving uphill speed punches.

Kell would jab Thurman all night to keep him off of him and would tie Thurman up to neutralize his power. In addition, Brook uses his length and height very well for controlling distance which is becoming a lost art (Kovalev is also very good at it). You can see evidence of that in his fights against Porter and Carson Jones twice(where he was actually the shorter fighter).

I also think that Kell would have a decent speed advantage which could trouble Thurman.

In my humble opinion, Kell and Khan is the way to go. 80K in Wembley, big dollars for both fighters, and more than likely a very technical, competitive match.

I like the diversity of opinions here….. Its like shopping at a newly opened mall.
And not being able to chose where to spend your disposable income first.

Kell Brook impressed me and proved that he is a top guy that can use his fundamentals to trouble anyone. The guy looks like one of the best conditioned athletes in the sport.

There are a lot of available opponents at 147. So if Brook wants a major challenge, it won't be difficult to find.

I actually wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they tried for Robert Guerrero. Guerrero looked very vulnerable his last time out against Kamegai but is still a name and top 10 Welterweight. The phone call has probably already been made. But in all honestly not so sure myself if this is a fight Guerrero would be willing to take (I think the Ghost is seeking another Mayweather like payday and obviously that won't happen fighting Brook).

As for Thurman, I'd love to see that fight. It looks like Thurman is fighting in October and Brook aiming for December so might not be possible next. But wouldn't that be a great co-feature on the next Mayweather PPV card.

After that I can see a big fight looming in September…

QUOTE=Radam G;62598]A fighter with that belief can also be reckless. Which Thurman has occasionally been. I told this Universe a few months ago that “Special K” was the real deal. He would beat a ¢ocksure “One Time,” IMHO. Holla![/QUOTE]

I absolutely buy this. I think Keith Thurman has a lot going for him, but I believe Kell Brook has even more going for him. I know that Thurman believes he is the next great welterweight, and a lot of us like that attitude.

Brook has that same attitude. He is supremely confident. He came across the pond the face undefeated champion Shawn Porter and outhustled him, outfought him and outboxed him for the title. I believe he would do the same to Thurman, who leaves himself wide open for counters. Brook has shown himself to be a sharpshooter and would pick holes in Thurman's Swiss Cheese-like defense.

Brook-Thurman would make for a solid action fight. Don't be surprised if it gets made before much longer.

stormcentre says:

Yep that's it.

Brook V Thurman; then . . . . .

Brook V Guerrero; then . . . . .

Brook V Kahn; then . . . . .

Brook V Porter (rematch); then . . . . .

Give the lad a break.

Perhaps come back after a holiday in the sun and he can then fight Floyd; provided TMT deem it worthy.

[QUOTE=Skibbz;62925]I hear that Brook's been stabbed whilst on holiday although the injuries aren't life threatening fortunately. He had been stabbed several years back in Sheffield I remember but he was fighting again within 6 months. I hope that this won't keep him out of the ring for long, and I'm sure he's gutted too (not literally). Either way I would gladly watch all four of those fights put forward by Storm, add in Tim Bradley and I'm content![/QUOTE]

Hopefully, he'll be okay.

Fill us in if you can..

[QUOTE=The Commish;62932]Stabbed??? OMG!!! How? Where did this happen? Does he hang in a bad crowd? Is he known as a troublemaker?

Hopefully, he'll be okay.

Fill us in if you can..

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;62936]Stabbed in the leg and suffered a cut on his arm. He was out with his wife and some type of altercation took place according to the news. His injuries are not life threatening.[/QUOTE]

“Special K” needs to realize that he will be targeted by meanstreet sorry arses. He needs to hired up some big uglies to keep them away from him.

This is a time that he need to mimic Money May. Holla!

[QUOTE=Radam G;62986]”Special K” needs to realize that he will be targeted by meanstreet sorry arses. He needs to hired up some big uglies to keep them away from him.

This is a time that he need to mimic Money May. Holla![/QUOTE]

You are so right about the “big uglies.” Around 6'3″, 285lbs and up.

I used to wonder why professional athletes and movie stars walk with bodyguards. Over the years I found out. There's always an idiot out there (Charlie Z.) who thinks nothing of getting in a person's face and smacking them. Thw big uglies keep their boss safe from the slime and vermin out there.

A major challenge? Try avoid getting cut first!

[QUOTE=Skibbz;62733]Some information for you guys from this side of the pond, Kell is planning his first defence against TBA Dec 6th in his native Sheffield in front of his most die hard 12k. After that a pugilistic date at Wembley (as envisioned by the Doc) is said to be penciled in for May.. another 80,000 anyone?

After that I can see a big fight looming in September…

Edit: on the topic of Khan, the man was supposed to be fasting yet has ballooned up at least 30lb heavier than he ought to be, and none of it is muscle![/QUOTE]

Khans slide began when he didn't take the Alexander fight and didn't stay active.
Waiting for Floyd and calling out Pac has left him sitting too long on the sidelines

Any info on the severity of Brooks injuries?

Also I think he should fight Khan in Wembley, great crowd and pay day for both.

Of course Khan will have to come off the couch and get in some road work unless he

plans to sit out for another year.

Khan should have stayed with Roach.