Freddie Roach: “Martinez is a great athlete, but not a great boxer, he won't last 4 rounds”
May 29 2014 12:59 AM

Freddie Roach, Miguel Cotto's trainer, is happy with his fighter's preparation and confident of a win over Sergio Martinez on June 7.

Hahaha, we should just take anything this guy says with a grain of salt…

Freddie knows how to sell a fight. Let's just leave it at that.

On a different note, I don't know if I like that Miguel Cotto is so light. He's only 157?! More than a week before the fight? He's a damn welterweight. He's not a Floyd or Rigo Ortiz who can do that type of thing and train/walk around under your weight limit.

But then again, maybe the weight won't matter. It's not like Martinez is a physical fighter anyway. But it does concern me a little that he's unable to keep on the pounds. I think he needs to go in there a solid 165.

Let's see what happens.

I'm riding double shotgun with TNT Freddie “Always Ready” to coach Roach. SerMart is doomed in five. And that is no jive. He's going to thinks that M-Co released a thousand and one deadly-killer bees from a Rican salsa beehive. Holla!

Roach knows that Martinez is a great athlete. Roach is also a very smart boxing guy and knows that Martinez is a skilled fighter. He is just trying to play some mind games.

Exactly, o-cat. Roach knows how to train fighters and he knows how to play the great promotional game. Saying Martinez “will not last four rounds” is quite a bold statement.

Are you guys finding the “ballots” on this fight split between the champ & challenger? I am. My feeling, other than as to who wins, is this: An early knockout seems to favor Miguel Cotto, while a long, two-sided,leather-eating affair seems to favor the reigning champion.

Don't ya' just love the action boxing is bringing to the table? Froch-Groves today & even more…Martinez v Cotto next week.

It's been a great few days of boxing indeed Commissioner. I'm backing the champ in this one. Side A or not, he will use his experience and physical attributes to thud shots into Miguel's face and abdomen. Cotto's face will be a bloody mess before the final bell and Maravila will claim a very satisfying victory.

Cotto has options after this fight though, he will take Canelo up on his offer and lose again.

I have picked SM from the get go.

However, if SM tries to come out with his hands down like a fool (or an old RJJ, we all saw how that ended)
then I can clearly see Cotto stopping him.

If SM understands time and age and how adjustments must be made( see hopkins, floyd) then SM should have a field day land lefts off of Cottos' bald dome.

What SM will we get?