Floyd Mayweather: “Maidana is a hungry lion”
Apr 26 2014 11:59 PM

Floyd Mayweather describes Marcos Maidana as an “action packed” fighter and expects their styles to make for an exciting fight on May 3rd at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

[QUOTE=Editor Mike;50280][url=http://boxingchannel.tv/floyd-mayweather-maidana-is-a-hungry-lion][/QUOTE]

I think that's exactly what this is, Floyd trying to boost sales because he does not see Maidana as a threat. He also believes that the public in general does not see Maidana as a threat. So Floyd the businessman is trying to change public perception just a little in order to sell more PPV's.

[QUOTE=deepwater2;50293]It seems when Floyd feels a bit of a threat he dismisses the opponent. When Floyd feels no threat he praises the opponent to boost sales. Floyd feels no threat, he believes he will see all punches coming and counter. 14-1 odds?[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! I've noticed this with other guys too, especially Klitschko.

I remember right before they were supposed to face Chisora, Manny Steward would talk him up and talk him up yet when they were facing a better foe in Haye, Klitschko dismissed him, calling him “the Gayemaker” and how he was going to knock him out and shut him up.

This is why I don't think this Leapei guy is worth anything either.

With Cotto, he was convinced he was going to stop him. He kept speaking nicely of him.

[QUOTE=The Shadow;50297]Totally agree! I've noticed this with other guys too, especially Klitschko.

This is why I don't think this Leapei guy is worth anything either.

In this case, I've even seen Leonard Ellerbe take to his Twitter to praise Maidana. It's likely because Maidana isn't doing much work to sell the fight himself.[/QUOTE]

Translation= “buy this fight so i can take your hard earned money and insult you with it by buying things i dont need and throwing it in your faces, oh i am original because i bang girls on my bed unlike any other human being on earth.”

spare me

[QUOTE=Skibbz;50315]Because he's a fighter through and through. He likes the gritting his teeth, wiping away the blood and sweat to get on with his job. Media duties are a strain when your timetable requires you to train train and train for the biggest fight of your life. Anyway surely the S.Americans and Mexican Americans will buy into this?

what's your numbers prediction for this one? and just out of interest what do you reckon Floyd's following numbers at PPV wise?[/QUOTE]

The fact they haven't even had any press conferences didn't help although Bob Arum constantly talking about it may have given it a bit of a boost.

I think this also serves a test PPV to see whether Broner has his own fan base or whether he practically has Floyd's (they can see where buys come from).

I also have no idea how much casuals really buy into the idea that that weird overhand right can catch Floyd.

I'm calling 750thou. Making this bout, those who did it were not as smart a collected owl.

Maidana can be a hungry lion. But his arse has no teeth, sore gums and , thus, no bite. I'm not expecting a good fight.

Easy, breezy in a Mayweather low PPV-buyout stinkfest for Money May. I was not born yesterday, OKAY! Holla!

[QUOTE=deepwater2;50293]It seems when Floyd feels a bit of a threat he dismisses the opponent. When Floyd feels no threat he praises the opponent to boost sales. Floyd feels no threat, he believes he will see all punches coming and counter. [B]14-1 odds[/B]?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;50356]Vegas must be getting alot of money on Maidana because you can now find the odds as close as 6.5 to 1. The opening line on the fight was as high as 15-1.[/QUOTE]

Odds don't mean a damn thing and is hardly a reflection of the validity or competitiveness of the matchup.

Initially, odds are set based on historicity, in part, and seeing as Floyd has never lost, he will never ever be the undergo unless he fights Klitschko.

From there, odds fluctuate according to how many bet on whom. For example, in one Marquez-Pacquiao matchup, Pacquiao started the favorite but ended up the “underdog,” due to a large number of rowdy, drunk Mexicans putting dinero on their man.

Hardly anything scientific about that.

Arum ranting about odds is just him playing on people who don't know better to make a point and make his event seem better.

RG, this does much better than 750,000.

Even so, this PPV is a market research project more than anything to gauge how big draws the principals — Broner and Khan– are.

Will Khan move the needle in the UK? Will they tap into the Muslim, Hindi, Pakistani and other Southeast Asians demos and turn them into buyers? Will Dubai show love?

Will Broner add a few extra buys from the coveted urban markets?

Though they likely won't, they can afford to “lose money” and write it off as marketing expenses. And this knowledge can make and save them a lot of money — the two only ways to turn a profit.

[QUOTE=The Shadow;50338]Not too sure on this one. So many variables. I can see anywhere from 950k, which would be low for him, to 1.1m.

All things considered, I would guesstimate slightly over a million. But I have no idea, I'm a little on the fence on that one.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. I wonder why they haven't tapped into the global market yet. Loads of other sports or shows on tv have global wide tv audiences. Doesn't matter that much to me though so long as boxing is still more than relevant in the world!

I think with casuals, they believe Floyd is the best. A lot of my guys I go to the fights with are casuals after a good night out and to watch some boxing. They think Floyd is untouchable. In boxing, if you don't know what you're looking at, you'll believe what you're being told by the guy with the gloves on. Mayweather says he's TBE, the casuals unite and will be chanting post fight “T-B-E”.