Devon Alexander will face off against dangerous Jesus Soto Karass June 21
Jun 18 2014 9:54 PM

Former two-division world champion Devon Alexander (25-2,14 KOs) will battle Jesus Soto Karass (28-9-3, 18 KOs) in a 10 round super welterweight match that will open the Showtime Championship Boxing tripleheader that also includes Gary Russell Jr. vs. Vasyl Lomachenko and Robert Guerrero vs. Yoshihiro Kamegai. Alexander is coming back after a loss to Shawn Porter back in December of 2013.

Photo Credit: Gene Blevins – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions

I think Alexander wins but this is a dangerous fight for him.

Alexander is clearly more skilled. He has superior hand speed and can use his quicker feet to out box Soto Karass.

Soto Karass is one of the mos resilient fighters I can remember. Every time his career appears to be over, he comes back with a win or performance that rejuvenates his career.

Soto Karass will keep pushing forward and keep applying pressure on Alexander. He will try to wear down Alexander and hope to catch him making a mistake with a big punch.

Keep in mind, the best punch for Soto Karass is the left hook. Alexander is a classic southpaw and is vulnerable to being clipped with the left hook. Soto Karass may focus on the body with the hook and try to bring it upstairs eventually. And he can crack with that punch.

I think this is going to be a decent fight. Like I stated above, I am going with Alexander but Soto Karass is a very live underdog and I would not be surprised to see him pull the upset.

thegreyman says:

Alexander is really looking to prove himself here it seems to me. He's tired of waiting in the shadow of the elites, and wants to put his name into the mix of elite welters. Not easy in a division so saturated with talent.

I think Alexander has the boxing ability to pull this one off though. He's a somewhat underrated and overlooked fighter in my opinion.

I agree with Oubobat though- Karass is live and dangerous, and he will be coming to win. Should be a highly entertaining match-up on a great card!

[QUOTE=Skibbz;56013]Tired of waiting in the shadow of the elites? He is as good as Ortiz in my book. He is a rung or two below the closest to the best and that's where he'll stay. He [U]should[/U] beat Soto Karass, but as OUCat S K can turn a fight on it's head. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Soto Karass throw Devon into the bin of fighters who just can't hack it at the top level no matter how hard they try. Soto Karass will be coming in here with no morsel of fear for opponent and certainly no respect. Alexander better be prepared to face that.[/QUOTE]

I ageee Skibbz, the more I think about this fight the better the chances I start giving Soto Karass. Alexander better be prepared both physically and mentally for what will come his way Saturday. I think this fight may be a pretty good one to watch.

thegreyman says:

That's what I mean. He's just below the level of the elites. I can't see him hacking it against absolutely anyone in the welterweights at the moment, but he's a very solid gatekeeper.

It should be a close, competetetive and highly entertaining bout! Probably overshadowed by the Lomachenko fight though.

I think he would beat crude and rugged fighters but I just see him being overwhelmed too easily at times. That's what I believe Soto Karass will try and do.

I wouldn't mind seeing him face Frankie Gavin at some point, or even Algieri if he moved up in weight. He should certainly face Khan and then we can better gauge where he stands now.

Either way, I think he will beat Soto Karass, I just won't be surprised if he get's it taken to him and fails to respond adequately.