Curtis Stevens vs. Hassan N'Dam: Fight Preview and Keys to Victory by Al Bernstein
Sep 28 2014 1:30 PM

Middleweight fighter Curtis “Showtime” Stevens will battle Hassan N'Dam, October 1 at Barker Hangar, Santa Monica, California, USA.

Curtis Stevens has had two wins since losing to Gennady Golovkin in the title match in 2013, while Hassan had his last title shot against Peter Quillin in 2012 and has had three wins since.

On the line last Friday with me, Gerry Cooney and The Shadow, he sounded totally fed up with being asked the same questions over and over.

“Are you looking to end it quickly?”

“How'd your training camp with Danny Jacobs go?”

“Would you like to face Triple G again down the road?”

“Have you watched any video on N'Dam?”

“What are you looking for in 2015?”

Hopefully, Stevens shows more zest, fire and enthusiasm against N'Dam than he did to a large listening audience on SiriusXM's “Friday Night at the Fights.” He may put opponents to sleep with a big left hook, but he put everyone to sleep last Friday with his “I'm bored-sounding” answers.

Curtis…it's part of the sport. You train, you fight, you do interviews. You want to make a lot of money? You do? Then let people hear you. Let them get to know you. Let them feel your enthusiasm. You want to make millions of dollars without doing an interview?

GGG loves doing interviews. He loves doing interviews and he loves fighting. You just love fighting.

Work in the gym to develop your terrific skills. In your off-hours, work with Main Events' outstanding publicist Ellen Haley to develop a personality. The one you have now is not fan-friendly.

You may win the fight on Wednesday, but with that sour disposition, you're not going to win much else!

:&gt

This is an interesting fight to say the least and one I am looking forward to on Wednesday.

There are questions about both coming into this fight. Stevens looked terrible his last time out against Taureno Johnson but his power saved him in the last round along with an early stoppage. N'Dam looked decent in spots against Quillin two years ago but then again was knocked down quite a few times and beat by wide margins on all the cards by Quillin.

I think this fight could go either way. Stevens has real power and as long as he is standing will have a chance to end the fight at any moment. He hits much harder too than Quillin who found it easy to put N'Dam on the floor.

On the flip side, Stevens can fall in love with his power and get out hustled. Johnson found it easy to land combinations from a safe range for 9 2/3 rounds on Stevens. Jesse Brinkley some years ago easy out hustled Stevens for a decision win.

If the fight goes to a decision, I think N'Dam will get the win. But Stevens could land a bomb anytime and take the cards out of the equation. Its an interesting fight and one that could produce some drama.

[QUOTE=Skibbz;65657]Whilst I'm no fan of Stevens, constantly doing interviews, answering the same questions to a horde of journos is incredibly mentally straining for someone who isn't accustomed to it, and or hasn't been taught how to do it.

He should take your advice Randy, but your barbed comments highlight to me some sourness on your part. I wish the best to Stevens in his upcoming fight, it will surely be a good one as both guys are game!![/QUOTE]

There is no problem–ZERO–between me and Stevens. I have merely noticed his attitude–even his post-fight attitude–is not one of endearance to anybody from the media. He always sound as if he's bored. Well, that kind of attitude irks me. We in the media help these guys. We write about them. We talk about them. The public knows about them and clamors to see them because of what the media does.

He doesn't like being asked the same question over and over? Tough. Deal with it. I am serious when I say that his promoter, Main Events, can help him work through that problem–and it IS a problem.

Let him ask his friend, middleweight Danny Jacobs, how to do it. The media loves speaking with him aqnd he loves speaking with them. I'm sure Jacobs can help Stevens out of the shell he is in when doing an interview.

I look forward to watching Stevens fight this week. He is incredibly exciting and game. He showed his tremendous heart in his loss to Gennady Golovkin two years ago.

We know he's got heart. We knows he's got punching power. We know he's got a good chin. What he doesn't have is a personality.

At least, not to the media, he doesn't.

[QUOTE=The Commish;65676]I have been in this sport longer than I care to realize. I have hasd my share of problems with fighters, but I truly believe those problems have been few and far between and nothing that has been irreparable. Greg Haugen once battled with me because I picked Vinny Pazienza over him and Sugar Ray Leonard didn't speak to me for a year because I picked Thomas Hearns to beat him in 1981. Today, I am friends with both Haugen and Leonard.

At least, not to the media, he doesn't.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

I agree Randy he should be helped, it isn't a the correct attitude to possess especially when you are in such a high publicity field. However, in many lines of work, when an employee is set to give an interview to reporter(s) then he is usually trained before hand. Someone with the temperament of a Curtis Stevens, who may undervalue providing interviews, must be taught both their value and the correct skill in providing responses to media questioning.

I know you have no affiliation to Curtis, and you're trying to do your job but many fighters simply don't realise the merits of the media. Are they the only ones? No. There are many of people across the world with a bad attitude towards the media, not simply the fighters in our sport. In such a lonely sport where your are undoubtedly your own greatest critique, taking further – some may feel unqualified – criticisms from someone sticking their mic in your face is simply too much. If the subject isn't playing ball, bashing heads isn't going to bring them our of their shell, it should be the interviewer's skill which does that.

[QUOTE=The Commish;65639]Curtis “Showtime” Stevens, not known to be “Mr. Congeniality” before or after a fight, has his game face on going into his fight on Wednesday against Hassan N'Jkam.

“Are you looking to end it quickly?”

“How'd your training camp with Danny Jacobs go?”

“Would you like to face Triple G again down the road?”

“Have you watched any video on N'Dam?”

“What are you looking for in 2015?”

:&gt

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I'm just now seeing this comment. I just posted something JUST like that in another thread, practically repeating the exact same sentiments.

If he never makes a big payday he has no one to blame but himself.

“What strategy are you taking into the fight?”

“Just be me.”

“Have you seen any video on the guy, why does he do?”

“No. Just gotta be me.”

Gerry did everything in his power to get this guy to talk. And he said, what?

“Be me.”

Here are some unsolicited, unprovoked text messages I received from people listening in while he was being interviewed, casual fans I talked into listening who had never heard of Stevens before.

Text #1: “He's hard to interview, no personality, damn homie wack.”

Text #2: “Pulling teeth out here.”

Text #3: “ahhhh!!”

Text #4: “He need to lose.”

Text #5, after he got disconnected: “Lmao that was God”

Hardly the impression you want to leave on new potential fans.

For someone who gets thrown off routinely, Bernie C. is far more entertaining.