Cotto vs. Martinez: What to Expect
Jun 02 2014 12:00 AM

Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez share their thoughts toward one another and outline their individual paths to triumph on fight night. Cotto vs. Martinez happens Sat., June 7 live on pay-per-view at 9pm ET/6pm PT.

A sell out at MSG and a victorious Cotto who will have the whole PR Parade going bonkers. Sergio looks soft at the Modell's workout, not his usual shredded self.

I agree he looked like he had begun enjoying himself.. He is what almost 40 now? He's had it tough all his life.. It could be easy to start cheating on diets especially with major injuries. Now he's had to sweat it all out and have all that side A side B stuff slapped in his face. I hope its a real fight.

thegreyman says:

I wasn't overly impressed by the Modell's workout either- he's not hitting the mitts too cleanly, though I'm not reading too far into that. Impressive speed from the champ though.

Expect Cotto to put his head down and outwork the bigger man, bullying him until he breaks. Whether by points or KO, Cotto will dominate.

That depends on him reaching Martinez, that's where I think he'll face his first stumbling block..

-Nobody knows if Sergio's knee is 100%, not even Sergio. Any athlete will tell you, that until you are thrust in the fire, you don't know if you are completely healed.

-Even if Sergio is healthy, is he going to be able to mentally climb over the mental hurdle of “Can I still do it?” that all of us have after an injury

-Sergio possesses every physical advantage but he has never faced anyone who will more than likely be a hard charging body puncher. Paul Williams was a volume puncher but not necessarily a pressure fighter nor much of a body puncher. Chavez doesn't cut off the ring and is a bit of a plodder so he doesn't quite fit that mold either. Murray, Cintron, Macklin, Pavlik, and Dzinziruk were more boxers or brawlers. If the Cotto we are expecting comes to fight, I think someone coming Sergio that hard may pose problems, especially if they are taking out his wind first.

-Everyone keeps pointing to the speed disadvantage. There is a huge disparity there for Cotto but what I realized is in several notable fights Cotto has been at a sizable speed disadvantage and still won ( A real fast Sugar Shane, Zab, Clottey, Quintana, Paulie)

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;54310]The closer this fight gets the more I begin to waffle. At first I was 100% Sergio and thought he may end my favorite contemporary fighter's career. Now I still think Sergio wins but little things keep popping into my mind like:

I am still sticking with Sergio but it would not surprise me if this looks like a Miami Heat playoff game. Close early but about 3 quarters through the better participant begins to show why they are better. Sergio wins but rather than an absolute shellacking I am thinking a very competitive 8-4 maybe 7-5.[/QUOTE]

I see where you're coming from Doc it could be how it goes. With both guys not exactly fresh off the shelf neither may have enough to be completely dominant.

The big unknown is the health of Sergios' knee. If healthy, I think he wins going away. If not, then we could have a very interesting evening in front of us.

My gut feeling is that the knee won't be 100% but will be relatively close to it. As such, I think Martinez will out box Cotto and either get a late stoppage or score a wide decision victory.

One other thing about Martinez going into this fight. He has suffered a lot of knockdowns in his recent fights. Some were flash knockdowns due to balance issues (Pavlik, Macklin), others he got clipped good but was able to make it to his fight not being that badly hurt (Murray), and the Chavez fight where he was legitimately hurt. I would not be surprised to see Martinez taste the canvas at some point, whether he gets careless or is caught off balance. That said, with the exception of the first Williams fight, each time recently he has gotten knocked down has wound up winning the fight.

Froggy says:

Martinez wins via ninth round K.O. !

[QUOTE=Froggy;54367]Martinez wins via ninth round K.O. ![/QUOTE]

Good prediction! I think so, too!

[QUOTE=The Shadow;54374]Good prediction! I think so, too![/QUOTE]

If Ser-Mart try to mix, M-Co will take him in six. But I'm going for five, because Ser-Mart is full of double jive. Holla!