Charlie Fitch under a lot of pressure for Froch-Groves 2
May 29 2014 10:13 PM

Referee Charlie Fitch will be the third man in the ring for Carl Froch vs. George Groves 2 on May 31. After a long debate in choosing the referee for this match, due to what many considered an early stoppage in the first fight, Fitch was chosen to referee this highly expected rematch.

I have been to some fights in upstate NY and can very confidentally state that Charlie Fitch is an excellent referee. I know this is a much, much bigger stage than the fights I have seen him officiate but believe he will do an excellent job as the third man in the ring on Saturday.

Obviously, those guys have no clue of what they were watching. Those guys have obviously never boxede and have no idea what it's like to get separated from your senses. To them, I suggest, a nice game of bocce ball, or perhaps a quite, safe game of chess (which I love!!!).

[QUOTE=The Commish;54306]Charlie did a great job in there. I cannot believe there are actually some guys who believe the stoppage was too quick. Huh???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=oubobcat;54307]Absolutely, the fight was very appropriately stopped at the right time. Groves crashed to the canvas from a massive right hand and landed with one leg bent backwards. Fitch took a look and made the right determination to stop the fight when he did.

Like I stated before the fight, I had seen him officiate bouts a few times in upstate New York and he has always done a very good job as the third man in the ring. He did a superb job in this fight as well.[/QUOTE]

I had a check of his stoppage in the last fight before the Froch Groves fight and I agreed with the timing of it. He's a very competent referee and was spot on with his timing of the stoppage this time. Great job Charlie.

thegreyman says:

Watching an athlete get permanently injured is not my idea of entertainment.

[QUOTE=thegreyman;54423]It's bordering on the ridiculous that he's coming under any flak for the stoppage. Anyone who knows the sport could see the state that Groves was in, and it wouldn't have been to anyone's benefit for him to continue, but those who are watching purely to see someone get hurt. The stoppage was bang on time.

Watching an athlete get permanently injured is not my idea of entertainment.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=amayseng;54470]Agreed all around thegreyman, the only thing I am kinda thinking about is why not just give the entire 10 count and make it legit so no one has a reason to gripe.

unless of course the ref sees something that warrants for immediate medical attention.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=oubobcat;54473]With the way Groves went down and with his leg buckled backwards, a 10 count was not needed. He was out and could have been badly hurt laying on the canvas. There could have been a need for immediate medical attention and those seconds could have been very precious. Fitch made the absolute right call in not counting and not taking any chances.[/QUOTE]

Yep he went down awkwardly on that leg, was out for like 3 seconds then came to.

Like I said, I remember playing football and my friend made a helmet to helmet tackle, was out for like 3 seconds, came to, jumped back up, went to his position and made the next tackle. Played the entire game and played a good game then didnt remember the game the next day…….

this could be unsafe sure, but look at Gatti vs Ward, Ward tells the story of Gatti hitting him with a straight right on the ropes that concussed him, he struggled for a few seconds and the Gatti landed another shot that brought him right out of it and woke him right up, Ward went on to win that fight…

I dont want to see anyone injured, but hey concussions happen during play or fights its just part of the game