Broner vs. Taylor – 2014 Fight of the Year Candidate
Dec 18 2014 12:00 AM

SHOWTIME Fight of the Year Candidate – At the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio on September 6, 2014: Adrien Broner returned to his hometown to take down Emmanuel Taylor via unanimous decision following a last minute knockdown.

The fight I would vote for fight of the year is Cunningham-Mansour. This was a slugfest at times and had plenty of edd and flow. And had a great comeback from Cunningham who was out on his feet at one point after being knocked down twice but came back and scored a big knock down of his own in a dramatic 10th round to help him secure the fight on the cards.

2nd on my list is Juan Manuel Lopez-Daniel Ponce De Leon. It was a dramatic 2nd round in which Ponce had Juan Ma down and almost out but Juan Ma rallied in that round to land a big punch that led to a stoppage victory for him.

3rd is Matthysse-Molina, great action back and forth in this fight. It also had ebb and flow as Matthysse had to come off the deck multiple times to rally to score a KO of his own late.

Pazuzu says:

[QUOTE=oubobcat;72676]Broner-Taylor was a solid professional fight. But not fight of the year by any stretch and should not really be given consideration. [/QUOTE]

Well, it's Showtime's Fight of the Year candidate, so I'm guessing it's little more than a marketing move to give a little cred to The Problem as they head into the new year. I agree with your assessment, however: decent fight, but not even close to FOTY. I haven't seen it on any other list.

Matthysse-Molina first jumps to mind as my top 2014 FOTY, just in terms of a jaw-dropping, slobberknocker of a fight with enough heart, guts and relentless banging to bring to mind the old Ward-Gatti fights.

My second choice would be Kovalev-Hopkins. Not because it was competitive (it wasn't – at all), but because NOBODY expected Kovalev to come out and have such a dominant performance against Hopkins, the future hall of famer, who, at age 49, could still be argued to be at the top of his game. Kovalev's performance on November 8 was one of the most impressive I saw not only in 2014, but in several years. The fight will be remembered as a career-defining night for both men. It also completely changed the landscape of the light heavyweight definition, and instantly transformed The Krusher from an unproven Russian with heavy hands into a serious P4P fighter with power, technique, and a dangerous, dangerous boxing mind.

Wow! Nothing was special about that fight. Holla!

nothing at all RG. Paz hit the nail on the head, if Broner was fighting only 20 years ago he would be a journeyman at best.

The Broner-Taylor fight doesn't even make my list.

A “Fight of the Year” candidate should be an action-packed, two-sided contest, not a one-sided bout as was Broner-Taylor, with the outcome never in doubt.

The were plenty of solid bouts in 2014 which can be mentioned as a candidate for “FIght of the Year.”

Broner-Taylor is not one of them.

the Roast says:

I don't even remember this fight.