Andre Ward hopes to be back in the ring in 2015
Dec 08 2014 12:15 PM

WBA Super World super middleweight champion Andre Ward chats with Michael Woods about his career and gives his insight on the win of David Lemieux over Gabriel Rosado.

Ward is looking a bit heavy. I hope he comes back soon too. Just settle and come to terms.

Ward wants big fights and has some choices to make.

Stay at 168 and he can fight Dirrell,DeGale,Groves maybe Chavez Jr if he gets his affairs in order

Go up to Lt Heavy and he can fight Kovalev,Pascal or Stevenson and it would be huge.

160 and he has GGG.

Froch is retiring soon so no chance of that fight happening.

I hope he doesn't take more than 1 tune up fight when he comes back.

Certainly a few pounds over. Ward vs Groves would be an attractive fight for the purists but Groves has been banged hard by Froch twice and I don't think he'll caution himself against Ward's power which could make it interesting.

What are the odds of Ward not fighting in 2015?

I have a feeling that Ward may not not until the 2nd half of 2015. HBO dates are starting to get filled (Golovkin in February, Kovalev March, Klitschko April, Pac looking like April Cotto-Canelo in May possibly) and accommodating Ward is probably not a high priority for HBO at this time.

And when he does fight the first time, well if he does fight again, I expect it will be against a lower level foe. Those talks about Kessler facing him in a rematch in the comeback have seemingly faded away much like Ward's career at the moment.

[QUOTE=oubobcat;71613]Ward keeps talking about getting back in the ring. But that's all it seems to be right now is talk.

I have said this before about Ward and will say it again. He needs to find a way back into the ring and do so ASAP. It may mean taking a lower purse the first time out just to be more accommodating to HBO (maybe a boxing after dark appearance). I don't thing his ego would let him do so though so despite the talk it may still be quite awhile until we seem him fight again.[/QUOTE]

While it was speculated that the unfortunate, sad death of Dan Goossen would free Ward from his promotional contract, Such was not the case. Apparently, Ward's contract was not with Dan Goossen, but with Goossen Promotions, which remains in business despite Dan's passing.

Ward cannot fight for some other promotion without having either an injunction placed on the fight and having it legally stopped or having to give up a large chunk of his purse to Goossen Promotions, in addition to the percentage he will be obligated to pay his new promoter. With managerial fees taken out, as well as trainer fees, cornerman fees and of course, taxes, Ward will make $4.99 for his next fight.

If he really cares about his boxing future, Ward should go to his attorneys and say, “Do whatever it takes to get me back in the ring. I have been out of the ring for too long, with nothing on the horizon. Just go out there and make a deal. I need to get back in the gym with a purpose, I need to focus on a fight. Make it happen.”

Yes, HBO is filling up their dates and filling them fast. But, believe me, Ken Hershman will make an opening for Ward if the unbeaten superstar and part-time HBO announcer calls to tell him, “My contract dispute is over. I am coming back. Let's find an opponent and a date.” No dates available? Watch how fast Hershman finds a date!

Faster than you can say “Kicking Showtime's butt!”

[QUOTE=The Commish;71655]It's not as easy to resolve legal matters as you may think. Unfortunately, legal matters are often long, drawn out procedures.

Faster than you can say “Kicking Showtime's butt!”

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

It is to the point, well it was long ago, that Ward needs to go to his legal team and advise them to do whatever it takes to get back in the ring.

I think for the right opponent Hershman would make an opening available. It would have to be someone like Froch, Kessler, etc. However for another Edwin Rodriguez type fight, well I don't think Hershman would be too eager to clear open a date.

I sincerely hope Ward gets back in the ring ASAP. There is no denying the talent he possesses. But it kills me to see him wasting away prime years like this for whatever the reason. This is his prime right now and instead of us beating the drums to a mega fight with GGG this spring we are instead stuck to following Ward's ever ongoing fight in court.

[QUOTE=Skibbz;71693]If he wanted to get in the ring he would have done it a while ago. But he wants to fight this case more, it's as simple as that.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure that Ward “wants to fight this case” as much as he HAS to fight this case. He wants to be free from Goossen Promotions or wants his contract to be re-drawn, which Goossen Promotions is unwilling to do. So, the two are at a stalemate.

It's like playing tic-tac-toe. With two experienced players, nobody wins. That's what is happening here.

In fact, it's more than nobody wins.

By not fighting, Ward is not earning anything.

In that case, both of them lose.

RDXSports says:

Oh Really! I would love to see him after a long time in the ring. Fingers Crossed.

thegreyman says:

'Wants' to be back in the ring…

So he claims.

I've heard him say over this past year that if he never got into the ring again, he'd have no regrets. He said he's achieved great things in boxing, and could go on living his life a happy man if he turned his back on it.

For sure I'd love to see him come back, who wouldn't? But do I honestly believe he will? In the near future? I'm not holding my breath.

As Skibbz says, if he really want's to fight, he's his own biggest obstacle.

[QUOTE=thegreyman;71735]'Wants' to be back in the ring…

So he claims.

As Skibbz says, if he really want's to fight, he's his own biggest obstacle.[/QUOTE]

It's just one of those things, some people fight the world with law suits on their back but Ward doesn't seem able. You don't see the Goosen's taking the omelette off the heat and devoting themselves solely to the suit, the world keeps turning and they know it. What in the world is in Ward's head?