Amir Khan vs. Devon Alexander will happen December 13
Oct 22 2014 10:45 PM

Al Bernstein talks about the #KhanAlexander match that was recently announced; Amir Khan and Devon Alexander will battle for the WBC Silver welterweight title December 13 at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;67551]Very weird. Last week Khan was reported in many outlets as fighting Guerrero, now he is fighting Alexander.

As for the fight, Khan should blitz Alexander, maybe even stop him. I don't think Alexander possesses the power to test Khan's China Doll chin nor does he possess the raw tools to make this competitive. Alexander is at a speed, strength, size, and length disadvantage and I think it will be to much for him to overcome.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Skibbz;67564]I don't know Doc, I always liked Alexander in the ring, 140 wasn't for him and at 147 he looks much more comfortable and he fights better. For Khan his chin will always be an issue but that's not what it could come down to in this fight in my opinion, Khan loves to set his own pace and find his preferred rhythm, and the problem with setting a rhythm is that you don't know you're in one. What makes it potentially disastrous for China Chinned Khan is the fact that Alexander has a very good ability to time his opponents. He's smart and, granted he's not perfect Alexander, he can time guys and he has done throughout his career which has always been wonderful to watch.

As has been the case with Khan thus far in his career, this is one for him to lose. He can't afford to lose focus or fall into a rhythm. Once Alexander clocks his speed and how he dances then it's only a matter of time before a punch lands. Should be a great fight![/QUOTE]

First of all, I will believe that this fight comes off when the two are actually in the ring and the bell rings. We have competing HBO and Showtime cards on the same date in the same city. Something may have to give especially with Oscar's new found relationship with HBO and Top Rank… In addition, Khan did duck Alexander last year and I am not so sure how badly Khan wants to get in the ring again in December in a dangerous fight despite what he is stating. To me, it seems something may happen to postpone this Showtime card. We will see.

To the fight, I like Alexander. Skibbz puts it very well. Alexander has a knack of timing his opponents very well. He may not be the hardest hitter in the world but can do damage if he hands his power shots especially against a china chinned foe. I could see Khan winning some early rounds and then getting careless and caught by Alexander which alters the course of the fight. Alexander may get him out of there or make Khan ultra cautious. If Khan becomes cautious then Alexander can out hustle him.

Personally, I don't think the December 13th Showtime card comes off. Khan withdraws with an injury, postpones the fight and returns to Showtime in late January against a less formidable foe like Josesito Lopez.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Khan is Sugar Ray Robinson, but I do think his skills are far superior to Alexander.

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;67592]You guys have a much higher opinion of Alexander than I do. I don't dislike him and although he has done well in quite a few fights, when he is in the ring with someone of equal skill, he does not look good. He handles C fighters pretty well and he also handles brawlers well (Karass, Maidana) but that just doesn't have me sold on him. Porter beat him soundly, I felt Matthysse beat him but was robbed, and Bradley beat him easily.

In defense of you guys opinion, I will say that Khan does fight dumb sometimes. He sometimes gets caught up in trading which for him is bringing a straight pin to a gun fight. He also is known to not use the raw advantages he often has to benefit him. If he does that, it could be another L for him and the end of the Mayweather sweepstakes pursuit.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people have been down on Alexander due to the Porter performance.

In this sport, styles make fights. Porter fought a very determined and aggressive style against Alexander. He took the fight to Alexander and was in his chest all night. The constant pressure and maybe mentally not expecting that from the underdog Porter took Alexander out of his comfort zone that night.

Amir Khan does not fight in any way shape or form the same style of Shawn Porter. Khan is also still very much a defensive liability in the ring. He does not move his head and frequently squares up to his opponents in fights. He is chinny and knows it as well. Thus he won't fight in an aggressive come forward and be in your chest style as Porter did against Alexander.

Khan's hand speed is where his edge lies. But Alexander has pretty quick hands himself and though he can't match Khan's speed can come close. So not as big an edge as Khan enjoyed in say his last three fights against Molina, Diaz and Collazo.

I see Khan being very open to counters from Alexander. And I think one of those counters will hurt Khan at some point and if he doesn't get ko'd gets much less aggressive. I think this is Alexander's fight all the way if it comes off.

It's not that I think he's great, or among the top 5 or even 8 in the division, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he has a superb ability to time his opponent loading up or coming in as he's proven countless times with stunning knockouts. Alexander has campaigned at 147 before and is no stranger to the weight unlike Khan. I just have a hunch that Alexander will time Khan in the later rounds. If Khan remains utterly focused until the final bell he should win, otherwise I see him on the canvas yet again.