Algieri vs. Provodnikov 2014
Nov 17 2014 12:00 AM

Watch Chris Algieri display incredible fortitude and ring skills to upset 140-pound title-holder Ruslan Provodnikov in one of the year's most remarkable triumphs.

Pacquiao vs. Algieri happens Sat., Nov. 22 live on pay-per-view.

[QUOTE=deepwater2;69727]I still think Ruslan won the fight with harder more effective blows. Algieri gets credit for hanging in there but his face looked like a horror show between every round. It doesn't get that way by accident. Either way Roach will have his countermeasure ready and I don't see Chris making it to the final bell. If he does make it to the final bell it will be a victory and he can go back to 140 and outbox Broner if tsAH lets him fight a live guy.[/QUOTE]

I also had that fight for Provodnikov. But no matter who you think won it was an amazing display of heart and courage shown by Algieri.

Speaking of Provodnikov, flying completely under the radar he is facing Jose Luis Castillo in Russia next week. I hate to see Castillo being used in such a way and just hope he does not get hurt. He is years past his prime but will still stand there and trade if given the opportunity. I hope the ref is aware and will be watching closely from the beginning. Why Provodikov's people couldn't find anyone else is beyond me for a stay busy fight.

No doubt whatsoever in my mind that tSR clearly won. I agree with the first judge who gave him a 117 to 109 victory. Holla!

Algieri has no shame, I too still hold that Ruslan won this fight but that's the way of the world and boxing and we have just got to live with it.

Algieri did display some interesting parts of his character, but he was basically in survival mode. If you put any boxer in a cage with an animal who keeps charging at them they'll fight back win or lose. Chris was in that mode and kept pedalling hard. When there's no way out and you're in there for 12, Algieri realised he can't get clocked and the only way to do that is by keeping Ruslan at bay. You don't win wars by keeping your enemy at bay, you've got to defeat them.

RDXSports says:

That was a great fight as I remember. Algieri has shown some stunning display despite losing the first two KO's.

I have been on the record as saying I thought Algieri will beat Pac in one of the most awkward fights we have seen in a while.

However, watching this does cause me some trepidation. Ruslan was easy to hit in this fight and easy to avoid because he spent a lot of time throwing wild kill shots which left him open alot for counter. He also became very predictable by throwing a ton of overhand lefts trying to target Algieri's eye.

That does not take away from the grit and heart it took to even make this a fight, but Manny will not be nearly that foolish. I still think Chris will take it but I think he will have to stink up the joint at an insane level to win it. I still believe this will happen though.

As a extra prediction, there will be a rematch and Manny will knock him out in 4.